‘Please protect my child from Andre Brown’

2½ years ago a parent asked Madison schools to refer
Brown to delinquency court.

The same André Brown, age 16, now in jail for his alleged part in the
08-11-2020  shooting death of Anisa Maria Scott, age 11.

Sat, August 15, 2020 at 3:36 PM
To: Kelly M Ruppel, MMSD Chief of Staff

Ms. Ruppel,

Below is an email string establishing that you were long aware that André Brown had perpetrated criminal acts upon my child and others in his classroom, that you were aware that Andre was an out-of-control thug, that you attempted to gaslight me, that you were aware that the so-called principal at Sherman wasn’t doing her job, that my family incurred very significant financial expense on the part of André Brown, and that your district’s so-called behavior-education plan wasn’t working.

Lone walker

André Brown

As I stated to you two and a half years ago regarding André (whose behavior I had started reporting to the MMSD four and a half years ago: … A “Behavior” plan isn’t going to cure the conduct of a kid who has a brain problem and whose parents are ineffective.

So how do you feel now, knowing that if André had been in The System, he could have been under a court order for supervision, medication, and counseling?

I have one kid who survived having an armed robber send a .22 round through his head, entering next to his nose, and exiting the back at the bottom of his skull. That happened back in 2014. Fortunately, my son lived. …

When I wrote to you about André Brown and others back in 2018, I had personal experience with what happens when psychopathic kids who have not had their brain problems adequately addressed grow up. Maybe you should have listened to me.  Had you done so, perhaps an eleven year old girl might be alive today.

⇒ “Two teens arrested in Anisa Scott shooting

Sherman MS

⇒ “Today in band, André climbed up on a cabinet, removed the American flag from the wall, waived it around in front of his privates while laughing and disrupting the class, and then poked the teacher in the head with it. Nobody could learn during, or immediately following, this series of events. André’s classroom disruptions are a daily occurrence. … Enough is enough. I want my kid protected.”

‘Call law enforcement!’ —  2½ years ago

February 5, 2018
Dear School Board:

Your district favors burgeoning anti-social psychopaths at the expense of the other kids. Our district’s policies of catering to criminal conduct perpetrated by psychopathic adolescents who belong in lockup has likely resulted in my daughter’s hearing being damaged by one student blowing a trumpet in it, and other kids banging percussion behind her for no legitimate purpose other than to annoy their classmates.

Your district’s denial of reality, and it’s absurd concern with a so-called “school to prison pipeline” has the net effect of encouraging the commission of criminal conduct upon pro-social students.

I feel so sorry for teachers whose hands are tied. I feel even sorrier for non-psychopathic kids whose learning is being impeded by disruptors.

André Brown is an anti-social brat in the 8th grade at Sherman. He has disrupted my daughter’s education for the past two and a half years.  He isn’t the only one, either; I’m only using him as an example because today’s misbehavior on the part of this miscreant is fresh in my daughter’s mind. …

I request that your district start requiring teachers to call law enforcement … when antisocial adolescents are preventing others from learning.

UPDATE: another parent reached out to us:

My son was taken out of Sherman Middle School due to André and a few others making death threats toward him. I was told the parents never returned calls or emails so I went about finding them myself and obviously they didn’t do much. Actually got in quite the argument with his delusional mother Lorena. His father seemed to care more but Andre lived with his mom so Ricky didn’t do much either.

Not only did he make threats he also keyed 2 of my vehicles. One being in my driveway the other being outside of the school while I was in a meeting inside. This all happened two days before the end of 7th grade. I wish that something would have been done because you never know if Anisa’s death could have been prevented.

I actually reported when Andre posted a Snapchat in the gym holding what looked to be a gun …. It stated “always strapped” and nothing was done. The school basically told me Andre stated it was indeed a BB gun and since he had it at an after-school event they couldn’t do anything.

Did we tell you Cheatham’s Behavior Education Plan was not working?

This entry was posted in Madison schools, Progressives, Race, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to ‘Please protect my child from Andre Brown’

1. Tana Schirmer says:

My son was taken out of Sherman Middle School due to Andre and a few others making death threats toward him. I was told the parents never returned calls or emails so I went about finding them myself and obviously they didn’t do much. Actually got in quite the argument with his delusional mother Lorena. His father seemed to care more but Andre lived with his mom so Ricky didn’t do much either. Not only did he make threats he also keyed 2 of my vehicles. One being in my driveway the other being outside of the school while i was in a meeting inside. This all happened 2days before the end of 7th grade. I wish that something would have been done because you never know if Anisa’s death could have been prevented. To any other of the parents and kids affected by Andres behavior would like to teach out please feel free.

2. Liberty says:

This makes me sick to my stomach. Anyone complicit in this STUPIDITY or who ignored parent’s pleas, from school board members to local politicians and teachers, should be PUBLICLY called out.

I heard on Vicki’s show that public officials can be sued? I’d consider suing for recklessness.

They KNEW this person was a problem yet they did NOTHING. Maybe if something had been done about his behavior, this innocent child would not have lost her life.

Yet will they learn from their mistakes? No, they’ll likely continue down the same path, blaming “white privilege” and cops and everything under the sun to avoid holding people personally responsible.

Sick of limousine liberals and their phony career-climbing virtue signaling. No skin off their backs, right?

3. Tana Schirmer says:

Now that i sit and think I actually reported when Andre posted a snap chat in the gym holding what looked to be a gun or a bb gun that resembled one. It stated “always straped” and nothing was done. The school basically told me Andre stated it was in deed a bbgun and since he had it at an after school event they couldn’t do anything.

4. Liberty says:

I add Cheatham to this list. Career climbing limousine liberals are helping to destroy this country!

“I add Cheatham to this list.”

You don’t say?

The Jenny From The (Cell) Block repercussions will resonate for decades; folks are voting with their feet. From an Isthmus comment thread:

Student net transfers out of district in (Jennifer) Cheathams (~ 6 year) term, 4400 students. In the 15 years previous, 3400 students!!!

It gets worse.

And what do those students/parents/families Take With Them?

Hmmm!

5. Amy Zion says:

This makes me sick. What a failure of the schools to have not addressed the problem when it was beginning to see a criminal in the making. I have supported SRO’s in high schools, but I think they should be in all schools. Middle school might be too late to make a change.

6. One of THOSE says:

Every person who voted in Madison school board members from Cheatham’s tenure to now is complicit in this travesty. At least the pandemic has given some of these poor kids relief from the chaos of the classroom. Parents need to wake up and use this opportunity to take charge of the education of their children. The pandemic has forced you to learn new and improved ways of delivering knowledge to your kids. Online instruction, learning pods, and your child’s natural curiosity and talent can take them so much farther than the crappy model the public school system is pushing on you.

7. Liberty says:

I am completely serious about a lawsuit. Pleas from parents, letters, op-eds, standing in front of decision makers haven’t worked with this group.

Why is everyone so worried about being polite? People’s lives are being destroyed because idiots in positions of power are making poor policy decisions.

“Why is everyone so worried about being polite?”

Some are taking a proactive approach; waving goodbye!

To wit:

Other than the MMSD redefining the definition of DIVERSITY, the other BIG story from last Tuesday (Madison, WI Spring 2019 elections)?

12 school districts in South Central Wisconsin asked voters to approve referenda on the ballots. In total, school officials asked voters to approve nearly $486 million.

$486 million? Mercy me; that’s nearly half a Billion…WITH A “B”!

Funniest thing; none of that was earmarked for 77 Square Miles Surrounded By A Sea Of Reality.

Sun Prairie ($171 M), DeForest ($125 M) Milton ($60 M) in school building referenda approved. Other municipalities within driving distance of Madison (Albany, Baraboo, Columbus, Cross Plains, Verona, etc.) are likewise preparing to be the recipient of a giant sucking sound…skeedaddling from the erstwhile Emerald City.

Fat $chool referenda for districts within driving distance of Madison? Probably nothing to it…right?

Noah Cross (John Huston in the classic Chinatown): “Either you bring the water to L.A., or you bring L.A. to the water.”

Is this any different?

• Liberty says:

Not much different, and understandably so.

Can’t help but think that it would have been easier to show some spine and push back against the craziness, instead of letting mostly Blaska take the brunt of it. At least it would have been worth a try.

• Liberty says:

Another thought, Gotch.

So all these parents are leaving the school system in droves. Understandable. What happens at the new schools? Will they keep running when there’s signs of trouble?

8. pANTIFArts says:

I see two problems here. First, this is a single letter from a concerned citizen (parent) to school authorities, one of several hundred over the course of a year. If this was an item of interest to the Woke Folk, they could generate more response to it in an HOUR. The Left is much more “networked” than the Right. All of their organizations serve as communication hubs for the cause. (remember, populist army) The Right has “circles”, Blaska has a circle, many of them belong to other circles, (etc). Unless these are united somehow, there is NO competition. SECOND, the letter dances around a request for accountability. These left-wing fantasies are bankrolled with YOUR tax dollars, DEMAND accountability. The Left is so fond of oversight committees, – provide your own. Cops off the streets,and out of schools? OK, what’s the plan? (in detail, subject to reviews and questioning) Social counseling in lieu of punishment? OK, provide: incident reports, intervention reports, progress reports, and rate of recidivism, to the public. Give everything they do a body cavity search. I could go on but…… This is THEIR game – learn to play it.

9. Bill says:

pANTIFArts makes a lot of sense with the comments made above. Yes we should hold the school board, the school administration, the mayor, the city council, the Dane County Supervisor, the Dane County Board, the Legislators, the Senate, the Governor and most especially the Dane County circuit court Judges all responsible for the death of Anisa. But mostly we must hold ourselves responsible for the death of Anisa. We have not demanded better from our elected politicians. We, the people have not shown up at their houses, not shown up at the board of education meetings, not shown up at the city council meetings or the mayors office or the mayors house or any of the Dane County Judges houses to demand a redress of grievances from our government. I count myself as one who has not let my voice be heard. But no more. I will strive to make my voice be heard.

We the People have a voice. Let our voices be heard!

10. Alberticus says:

All this ranting about “the talk” that black parents supposedly suffer and anguish through ….. well ….
    “THE TALK” that WHITE Parents have to have with THEIR children about the thieving, raping, THUGS that claim to be oppressed as they live off the TAXES taken from the WHITE Parents. How Negroes get “special treatment” through Affirmative Action, never being prosecuted for Black Racist Hate Crimes. How Whites are supposed to walk on eggs around the poor-oppressed Black. How the little blackss disrupt and terrorize schools and make education impossible. Son, be careful around groups of blacks because they may gang up on you to steal your lunch money and beat you up for it. Also, stay out of any fight on the school grounds with a black kid because the school will never take your side in any fight because that would be something they call systemic racism.
    …..THAT is “the TALK” that should be TALKED about on all the daytime bimbo “TALK” shows..
    “shoplifting is no big deal” Lavar Ball —- Black PRIVILEGE
    What Cha Gonna Do about BLACK privilege? Gonna ban “affirmative action”?
    Dress like a THUG, walk like a THUG, talk like a THUG …. then whine like little CRY-BABIES because you get treated like a THUG.
    I do not want to pay for YOUR shoplifting.
    “Black PRIVILEGE” “LaVar Ball scoffed at the notion that President Trump’s meeting with Chinese Premier Xi Jinping had played any role in his son’s release. Ball went on to say that “shoplifting is no big deal”” —- Black PRIVILEGE “Black PRIVILEGE” —- blacks thinks stealing is a right …….. THEN they WHINE because store clerks WATCH THEM all the time …….

11. Wait a minute; aren’t we being told that the “system” is what’s bad and the reason that kids are being disruptive in schools is because police are somewhere in the building?

I’m so confused!

What the hell are the rules these irrational social justice warriors imbeciles are playing with?

12. AdamC says:

Strong, caring, and involved Black men like Kaleem Caire are what is MISSING from most of these criminals’ young lives. Kaleem CANNOT be 24/7 father figure to all these aimless fatherless young Black boys so the void is filled by negative, destructive and violent influences.

This is the TRUTH. Caring Black male role models. Do-Gooder white people and “society” and “the community” can only do so much.

When is “the conversation we need to have” going to include a lengthy discussion of the need for Black fathers being there in their child’s life from day 1? What about laying down the law in the schools so all children can learn in a safe environment?

It seems to me, at least in Madison, most institutions are led and managed by women, mostly older white women, who seem unable or unwilling to lead and manage organizations. They recite pablum and never do anything!

Seems like much of Madison’s problems and the Black community’s problems have a common root cause: absence of male influence and leadership.

13. LindaS says:

I am guessing that the Madison middle school teacher, Karen Vieth likely knew this individual. It was a little over 2 years ago that she highlighted what was going on at Sherman Middle School before she left the School District. As I recall the Principal of the school was later fired – or (being politically correct) transferred to another position for her lack of leadership at the school.

14. Get Kids Outside says:

The more I read about this story, the sadder I feel. The lives lost are at least three, probably more.

15. georgessson says:

Thank you, Tana, Cornelius and David. While I’ve followed the school discipline problems, and MMSD machinations for a long time, I was NOT aware of all this. Wow…

16. anon says:

In 2018, I wrote to former Chief Koval about Andre Brown stating (among other things):

“The past 2 years of behavioral interventions have been wholly ineffective. If this kid has some sort of brain problem where he can’t see cause and effect, then he appears to need some sort of medications to reduce his level of behavioral acting out. Since his parents clearly aren’t doing what they need to (either in terms of effective behavioral interventions, or psychotropics that will reduce these behaviors), The System should be involved so that a court can order the parents to provide him with whatever he needs to cure the behavior.”

Everyone on the school board in 2018 was aware of Andre Brown’s behavior. The abdicating Sherman principal was aware of it. Dr. Michael Hertting was aware of it. Kelly Ruppel, the former MMSD Chief of Staff was aware of it. And so was former Chief Koval.

17. One of THOSE says:

“…at the shooting range with two others, including Brown, when he heard Brown say ‘what we did on East Washington already made the news.’” I must admit I’m surprised they bother to practice. They didn’t hit their intended target, so once Ozanne and whichever useless judge lets them out soon, better look more closely at who you’re shooting next to at the local ranges.

• anon says:

One of the commenters on Mr. Blaska’s blog said on August 4: “I was brushing up on my handgun skills recently at a local indoor shooting range on a Weds, mid-afternoon. Every lane- and I mean EVERY lane, was occupied by either a black gang-banger complete with pants falling off or a black teenager busy taking photos of themselves holding various models of Glocks. Neither group seemed like they’ve handled firearms at all by the looks of their targets. The gun violence in Madison is spooky.”

What shooting range was this???!!!

18. Pingback: Too much diverting; not enough prosecuting | Blaska Policy Werkes