Some hate speech is O.K., depending on the speaker

Like the Roseanne show, this blog has been rebooted
… but not canceled (so far)

The party-line telephone here at the Stately Manor was ringing off the hook Tuesday with concern that this popular feature (Free! And worth it!) had been canceled by our Russian disinformation handlers — and that its Founder, Producer, and Chief Talent had been murdered most foul-ly.

Rest easy, my Deplorables. Truth is, we were shut down for a day of in-Manor house sensitivity training. Not to instill more sensitivity (Shirley, you jest!), but to drum out the subtle hints of occasional compassion, as detected by overly sensitive instrumentation.

While the denizens of the Manor were being subjected to endless PowerPoints of guilt-mongering, yet another popular figure became a non-person Tuesday 05-29-18. The TV personality formerly known as Roseanne Barr, having made a spectacular comeback, crashed and burned like an Space X rocket over an almost predictable act of hubris. Or, as we used to say back in Sun Prairie, sheer dumfuckery.

Tweeting that former Obama fixer Valerie Jarrett was the love-child of “Muslim brotherhood & Planet of the Apes” is stupid, as well as racist. Is it Roseanne’s First Amendment right to say so? Of course, and the government has not fined or incarcerated the TV star.

laurie-metcalf

It is also ABC/Disney’s right to cancel her show for whatever reason or lack thereof.

Just as it is the right of the National Football League to require its employees to stand respectfully for the National Anthem when on the job. (They can kneel or sit at the baseball game, on their own time, if they wish. Or go for a Johnsonville brat.)

Now the Squire will commit his own act of hubris, if not downright D******-ery. Some hate speech is more acceptable than other hate speech.

[ WE BLAME THE AMBIEN. As Abraham Lincoln counseled, don’t believe everything you read on the Internet. The mighty, diesel search engines at the Policy Werkes have determined that the photograph of Whoopi Goldberg originally reproduced here was PhotoShopped, that Ms. Whoopi never wore that T-shirt depicting Donald Trump blowing his brains out with a handgun. At this point, our Eisenhower-era mainframe computer cannot confirm even the existence of such a person as a “Whoopi Goldberg.”

[Therefore, the photograph and accompanying unhinged diatribe has been scrapped from this blog much as ABC/Disney scrapped the Roseanne show from its line-up. Until its writers can rewrite the character, anyways, perhaps substituting the so-called Whoopi person for Roseanne. Talk about a plot twist! We would write it like this: Roseanne awakens one day to find herself in Whoopi Goldberg’s body. She confesses to Dan and the kids that she had only been identifying as a white racist until she had an out-of-body experience due to an overdose of Ambien.

Whoopi and Dan

Makin’ Whoopi. This image could be real. Maybe?

[But our point, whatever it was, remains. Should have gone with Kathy Griffin and the severed head.]

Golfing while black, and too slowly!

Roxanne Gay in the New York Times sees racism everywhere:

• Five black women were golfing in Pennsylvania when the police were called because the women were, purportedly, golfing too slowly. [A golfing Fivesome? FIVE?! I’d call the police on that, too.]

• Some black people were having a barbecue in an Oakland, Calif., public space and a white woman called the police on them for using a charcoal grill. [It’s California, an environmental thing. Smog, y’know.]

• In Philadelphia last month, two black men waiting for a business meeting with a third person in a Starbucks were arrested for sitting in a Starbucks while black. [Hold your business meetings at Starbucks! No purchase necessary!]

Ms. Gay continues:

In each of these encounters, white people took it upon themselves to police black bodies in public spaces. They felt entitled to do so because of racism … They felt this entitlement because that’s what racism does — it allows one group of people to feel superior to and imagine dominion over another.

Monica Adams

M. Adams

We could also make the case that PC-ism does the same: allows one group of people to feel superior to and exert dominion over another. We who live in the Emerald City know a thing or two about virtue signaling. Because we’ve seen a thing or two …

We might accept Ms. Gay’s examples at face value. We could posit that police are called on white people for equally specious reasons but those result in no headlines, lawsuits, or BLM marches. We could walk on the wild side to argue that even No Shoes, No Shirts, No Service may fall victim someday to the malleable curse of “disparate impact.” Do we exaggerate? One academic maintains:

As white segregationists in the South were placing “whites only” signs in the windows of restaurants, in the North, more enlightened (or, rather, more savvy) white proprietors and public officials realized that rules restricting public spaces to local residents and the strict but selective enforcement of laws against things like disorderly conduct and loitering could be used to impose racial segregation.

Blaska’s Bottom Line: Do you really think Madison Ald. Shiva Bidar-Sielaff would have sicced the police on Monica Adams of Freedom Inc. if she had been haranguing alders? The other BLM shouters? The grievin’ grandma of Tony T. Robinson Jr., martyred by police? Of course not.

But she did on an aging white man. No cursing, no shouting, no threats. No matter.

This entry was posted in Donald Trump, Free speech, identity politics, Race and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

125 Responses to Some hate speech is O.K., depending on the speaker

1. But David, didn’t you know that …

2. coolkevs says:

Ald. Shiva served me a brat at Brat Fest – I thought my stomach was upset afterward

3. AnonyBob says:

False equivalency, Dave. Not that I care to defend Whoopi’s very tasteless shirt, but it was a (gross) political statement at a political event. Rosanne’s was just crude, ugly, conspiracist racism, broadcast to the world for no reason. I’d like to see all you Trump supporters offended by the racism of this very vocal supporter, but it’s just kinda what he does all the time. Apparently you have to be president before you can be that public about your racism.

Nah. Nor did I clutch my pearls or lurch towards ABob’s fainting couch when Joy Reid was caught lying about her homophobia. Fools gonna be foolish.
    Remind me was Roseanne’s veep when she ran for president.

5. Alex Kate says:

That picture of Whoopi is actually photoshopped. She wasn’t really wearing that shirt. Not a fan of hers, but it punches a hole the size of Texas in your argument.

6. old baldy says:

“While all pharmaceutical treatments have side effects, racism is not a known side effect of any Sanofi medication.”

Sanofi is the maker of Ambien.

7. Turd Ferguson says:

Roseanne is not Racist, she is just a comedian. Comedy is supposed to push the envelope, I mean the way liberals and conservatives are going it will be mainstream funny to make fun of people’s Cancer or Abortions. ….. Wait a minute …Oops that has already happened!

Bring on the Big Beautiful Comet!

8. Is it true that Bill Maher claimed President Trump’s “mother had sex with an orangutan” and kept his job?

9. richard lesiak says:

• richard lesiak wrote, “I’m confused. If your going to choose a hill to die on, why would you pick Jarrett, a former adviser to Obama? It’s like me ripping on The Gotch; fun, but not worth blowing up my life over it.”

Try reading for comprehension Richard. The core of David’s argument is that the political left is awash with hypocrisy and “Some hate speech is O.K., depending on the speaker” is just another great example of that hypocrisy.

• richard lesiak wrote, “So you quote me, call me stupid and then don’t answer the question. Why Jarrett? What’s so special about her? 99% of trump supporters don’t know who she is or what her job was. If your going to blow up you life; go bigly.”

I didn’t call you stupid but I will now for your intentional misrepresentation of my comment. Bite me Stupid.

Your question is an irrelevant deflection. The topic is the hypocrisy, try to focus, stupid.

“you’re.” If you’re going to choose …

@richard lesiak;

“It’s like me ripping on The Gotch; fun, but not worth blowing up my life over it.”

That’s kinda like the realization that yer not two-faced..

If youse were, you wouldn’t be wearing that one…

Cancelling Roseanne’s show is just BS virtue signaling by lefty ABC, and a pussy move by spineless weaklings. It was free market at work but would have been far more interesting for ABC honchos to disavow her comments and then observe the free market at work with the show still airing. Undoubtedly she would have addressed the issue within an early episode, thereby allowing Barr and her writers to flex their creative muscle thereby stimulating ongoing meaningful dialogue.

Btw; I notice that annoying bob is the only one who continues to mention Alec Jones. Apparently he is a fan…

• AnonyBob says:

Bold words there, Batty, but they miss the mark and reality, as usual. “Lefty” ABC (corporate owned and bottom line oriented) knows the general public has little tolerance for overt racism, even if it appeals to the deplorables. ABC thought they could ride that tiger, but Rosanne’s crackpot conspiricist racism proved a bad bet. ABC knows being a racist is a bad thing. What don’t you guys?

I mention Jones, Beck, Rush; it’s fun to mess with the crazies. Can’t forget Arizona Joe, Moore and my all-time fav Blankenship.

She certainly hasn’t aged well.

• richard lesiak wrote, “She certainly hasn’t aged well.”

As much as I’ve always disliked everything Rosanne has ever done, even I am stooping to pettiness about her looks.

• AnonyBob says:

“…even I am (not, I assume) stooping to pettiness…”
          “troll” “bite me stupid” “idiot”
          You are no small source of amusement, Z-buddy.

your delusional

@richard lesiak;

“your (sic) delusional”

It’s painfully clear English isn’t yer first language. The burning question; is it even in the Top Five?

Disney owns ABC and ESPN. CEO of Disney Bob Iger condemned Barr’s tweet as “abhorrent, repugnant and inconsistent with our values” after hiring Keith Olbermann (ESPN) for the sixth time and tolerating Jemele Hill until they couldn’t.
    Cursory research of Olbermann’s vicious tweets, commentary, and writing about Trump and his family clearly demonstrates a political double standard.

PC dogma had it that minorities can’t be racist and if you were a star in the Democratic Party you could be a sexual predator for many years. Speak out and you’ll suffer the wrath of the Clinton/media/Hollywood complex. We Deplorables had enough and said so. 307 votes in the electoral college.
    Weensteen would be in the White House more often than Chelsea had Hillary won.
    And ABob, remember that “bottom line” oriented NBC fired Ronan Farrow to spike the Weensteen story.

13. Turd Ferguson says:

You cannot hug with nuclear arms!

14. Sprocket says:

Well, leftie house pet Samantha Bee just called the President’s daughter a “cunt”, so there’s that…

I guess we’ll see how valid David’s thesis is depending on how this plays out. Though it’s hard to imagine the chattering classes wouldn’t be soiling themselves in fits of apoplexy were an entertainer to apply that term to a member of Obama’s family.

LIES…the fake media says Bee called Ivanka a “c”. Untrue. The failing Sprocket Times is on another witch-hunt. If she was a “c” I would have grabbed it, but I didn’t. Check the tapes. There was no “cuntllusion”

@richard lesiak;

“LIES…the fake media says Bee called Ivanka a ‘c’. Untrue.”

Do tell!

Bet yer feeling FAR more stupid than usual ’bout now, am I right?

What a freakin’ imbecile!

It’s a joke, Aware One.

@AnonyBob;

“It’s a joke, Aware One.”

NEVER attribute to attempted humor what can surely be explained by stupidity!

• AnonyBob says:

Just admit it went right by you and move on…

@AnonyBob;

”Just admit it went right by you and move on…”

But that prevent @richard lesiak from being held accountable AND it would be a lie; who do youse think I am, Hillarity Clinton?

Moving on? Who’s the Moronistani resident still dwelling on it? Gonna blame <bTHAT on 25 years misrepresenting the public in the legislature too?

• AnonyBob says:

You are one confused dude.

”You are one confused dude.”

Am I @AnonyBob…am I REALLY??

• AnonyBob says:

Yes, you are. I never said I represented anyone. I said I retired from 25 years of working in the Assembly.
          Do you ever communicate in plain, clear English, without insults?

• AnonyBob wrote, “I never said I represented anyone. I said I retired from 25 years of working in the Assembly.”

Working for the Assembly, prove it!

With the vase intelligence you show around here you wouldn’t even qualify as an executive bathroom attendant?

• Bad typing skills, try this…

“Working in the Assembly”, prove it!

With the vast intelligence you’ve show around here you wouldn’t even qualify as an executive bathroom attendant?

• AnonyBob says:

You are one classy guy, Squeaks.

• AnonyBob wrote, “You are one classy guy, Squeaks.”

It’s your choice to portray a dimwitted persona here and that choice has its consequences. Enjoy.

@AnonyBob;

”You are one classy guy, (@ZoltarSpeaks!)”

We finally agree on something, can we build on this?

This uncorroborated Assembly thingey? I’m thinking it was a sanitation engineer gig, or an internship ala Monica Lewinsky.

• AnonyBob says:

• AnonyBob wrote, “Yeah, I coulda been a custodian, a director of a service agency, or something in between. Believe me, I ain’t sharing any information with you 2 yahoos.”

Crow Barr

P.S. I don’t care one bit if you choose anonymity AnonyBob but anonymity does not release you from your responsibility to back up what you claim. You’re using your claim as a Self-validating Virtue rationalization and that’s unethical without supporting the claim with something substantial.

• AnonyBob says:

Pfft. You’ll just have to wonder.

• madisonexpat says:

“Feckless c@#$ was written, rehearsed, produced, put on a teleprompter and delivered. Its on tape. poor richard says it didn’t happen.

• AnonyBob says:

Richard’s post is satire. It’s a Trumpian reaction. Amazing how you boys don’t recognize what Your Guy sounds like.

15. old baldy says:

“But our point, whatever it was”. Ain’t that the truth?

But the obvious inference is that the truth really has to bearing on discussions held here.

• Patrick M O'Loughlin says:

I take it you meant “no bearing” rather than “to bearing” on discussions held here. So I have to ask why you keep coming back here to hold dishonest discussions?

• Patrick M O’Loughlin wrote, “So I have to ask why you keep coming back here to hold dishonest discussions?”

Partick,
        If you go back and read a bunch of blog threads here it’s painfully obvious why he keeps coming back, he’s a troll; Old Baldy, AnonyBob, and Richard Lesiak are the real source of the dishonest trolling discussions.

• AnonyBob says:

Mr. Urban Dictionary, quit misusing “troll” for anyone that disagrees or argues with you. You fall back on it when you lose an argument, right before you start the name-calling.

• AnonyBob wrote, “quit misusing “troll” for anyone that disagrees or argues with you.”

Troll: Those that post inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion, often for their own amusement.

I don’t misuse it, that is EXACTLY what you three do. What pisses people like you off is that I use it properly and I’m willing to be the adult in the room that will say it when everyone else seems to enable your BS.

You and your kind of troll can’t carry on an intelligent conversation even if it had handles. Why don’t you and your kind try to actually comment about the topic at hand instead of deflecting? Oh wait, what the heck am I asking; see the definition above – that’s why.

AnonyBob wrote, “You fall back on it when you lose an argument, right before you start the name-calling.”

Lose an argument? ROFLMFAO!!!

Is that “inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic message” straight out of your Trolling 101 handbook?

Stop being a immature snowflake about your own trolling, own it, be proud of it, Crow about it. Your lame anti-intellectual woe-be-unto-me dimwitted persona won’t cut it.

There troll, you got the response you were looking for, one that continues to deflect away from the core ideological tactics of the political left – blatant hypocrisy and double standards.

(Eye roll)
          Quit being such a snowflake about everything.

• AnonyBob says:

• AnonyBob wrote, “I will admit you’re thin skinned and super easy to provoke, which makes it kinda fun. If that makes me a troll (to you), so be it. Say it loud, say it proud!”

You’re a Crow Barr.

You walked right into that one.

Sucker.

• AnonyBob says:

“Man, quit working all those Zoltar Speaks links into your comments. You look ridiculous.”

• AnonyBob wrote, ” “Zoltar Speaks” – pretentious commenter who oversubmits definitions to Urban Dictionary and the delights in citing himself as if they were authoritative.”

Hey that’s pretty good coming from you. I’m actually impressed. 😉

How did your Sasquatch Brain come up with something so clever?

The Axis of evil. These 3 are ANIMALS. Everyone say it loud; ANIMALS, ANIMALS. They illegally crossed the right wing border to sow destruction throughout Blaska’s Blog. Send these 3 back to where they came from (maybe an exception if they can prove some connection to Norway); otherwise, out they go. Take their kids (never-mind that we lose track of them) and toss them out. These 3 have colluded to destroy the very foundation of right-wing blogging across our entire great nation. LOCK THEM UP LOCK THEM UP.

• ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The truth is out there Scully.

• old baldy says:

“no”, not “to”

By ABob logic, Samantha Bee’s remark makes Hillary a potty mouthed gynecologist.

Ted Nugent called Clinton that and trump invited him to the WH. Trump never said anything about Barr’s tweet, but lost his comb-over about Bee.

Anyone else think that God is setting up Progressives for repeated epic failures? The Roseanne tweet yielded instant and total outrage which stopped instantly upon Samantha Bee’s tirade.
    I expect to see ABob in a neck brace.

18. Marcus says:

Highlight of the day: Reading Blaska’s Blog. Soul Killer of the day: Reading the Comments.

Gee ABob, one day its worse to tell a racist joke if you can blame President Trump but tomorrow a mysogynist rant will be worse. Must be your dog-whistle detector at work. The only constant in your relativistic world is TDS 24/7.
    Enjoy.
    I am.

Barr’s tweet about Valerie Jarrett for which virtually everyone has labeled her and her tweet racist :
    “Muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj,”

Many definitions of racist to be found and they all go something like this:

“A person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another.” Oxford English dictionary.

Not so sure her comment per se meets the definition.

ABob, you’ve bonked your head on every tree and never glimpsed the forest. You parse every “outrage” as ‘Maher can as a satirist but Roseanne, the unstable comic can’t. Sam Bee said she was sorry so just move on snowflake. Rinse repeat.
    And you wonder why you can’t persuade after giving up your credibility. Much like the media.
    You are a very good avatar for much of Progressivism.
    Lost in the wilderness of nuance and grey areas and unable to grasp the undeniable tectonic shift.
    You have one trick and can’t see it. It is not sensitivity or awareness. It is Trump Derangement. Period.

• AnonyBob says:

You see Trump Derangement. I see a large majority of this country who is appalled by overt racism, against corruption of govt. for personal gain, insulted by crudity and cruelty, and who still supports the rule of law and our democratic institutions. All of which Trump threatens. You see that as Progressivism. I see that as patriotism. History will not be kind to Trump. We shall see which of us has a better read.

• madisonexpat says:

What you didn’t see was the racism of Ferguson, Baltimore, Chicago, Madison etc. You did not see a war on cops, a federalization of policing, a corruption of every federal bureaucracy Valerie Jarrett wanted to corrupt, powerful Democrats placed above the laws of pay for play, handling secret information, spying on all US citizens of interest. You did not see the Constitution as more than old words that could be overturned by a Supreme Court full of progressives.You didn’t see us mocked by world leaders who laughed at our clown in chief and rolled him for megabucks in cash and trade concessions across the board. You saw pre dawn raids by thought police as patriotic and the appropriate rule of law.
        You don’t see the folks that are turned off by the daily dose of over the top invective against a duly elected president. You don’t see a Democratic Party that can find a message beyond ‘white people are bad, we need to raise taxes, we need no borders and we hate our lives because Trump!
        I’m rarely surprised by what you see. That is predictable as with any Progressive. What you DON’T see is interesting. I have to wonder if you can’t or won’t.

Pearls before swine expat…

Two EVIL White Portland OR Back to Eden Bakery employees were fired for being RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACISTS

Their crime, besides being EVIL White people? They didn’t allow Lillian (a Black “professional equity activist” AKA Race Hustler/Pimp) to enter the premises after they closed at 9:00 p.m.

Per its own security video, the Race Hustler/Pimp entered at 9:06 p.m. after the “OPEN” sign was shut off.

It should be noted, also courtesy of that same surveillance footage, that two EVIL White X-Chromosomal Units tried to enter the bakery two minutes before Lillian and were told it was closed for the night.

Back to Eden fired them because, and I quote: “sometimes impact outweighs intent.”

Back to Eden said the employees denied the woman service and “lacked sensitivity and understanding of the racial implications at work” […] “this is more about how a black woman was made to feel.”

Shucks, my “Gosh I’m Nice/You Poor Victims” endorphins aren’t ramping sufficiently; we best toss it over to someone(s) who can put things in perspective: cue the sensitive/inclusive/horrified/White Guilt-suffocated spittle-fleck-filled slobberings of @hankdog/old baldy, @AnonyBob, and (my personal favorite), the borderline illiterate @richard lesiak

Ah Lefty; so MUCH hypocrisy, so little time!

• Gary L. Kriewald says:

This tiresome spate of corporate virtue signaling boils down to one thing: separate and unequal policies for whites (e.g., buy something or leave the premises; don’t arrive at closing time and expect to be served; no shirt, no shoes, no service) and minorities (raise a stink and get whatever you want). Wanna bet on how long it will take for your local Starbucks to become a homeless shelter that serves coffee? Kinda like what happened to public libraries, which have become homeless shelters with books.

@Gary L. Kriewald;

“Wanna bet on how long it will take for your local Starbucks to become a homeless shelter that serves coffee?”

That should be the least of Starbucks’ concerns; they’re going to become alcohol-infused aggressive panhandling Meccas, the rest-rooms (ironically where this all started) will be combination shooting gallery/needle exchanges and assault staging areas.

What will be keeping me up at night?

With nowhere to go for their 5 adjective crappicchinos to sip while they lament following a ideology that’s failed everywhere it’s been tried, how to redistribute everyone’s property but their own, and pretending to care about the downtrodden, will @hankdog/old baldy, @AnonyBob, & @richard lesiak now frequent “nice” places like the Oak Crest, The Laurel, Alt-n-Bachs, or Bennett’s Country Club?

Annoyingbob wrote:
    “Oh, you are serious. Black (woman), ape… You’re not joking…I suppose Michelle O’s arms threatened you, too.
    Sorry, Batty, that’s pretty f-ing stupid racist.”

Check the definition of racist and explain how Barr’s comment fits.

It was an ethnic slur.
    Look it up yourself bobo.
    Nice deflection though.

• AnonyBob says:

Explain the “ethnicity” here to me.

• AnonyBob says, “Explain the “ethnicity” here to me.”

You were asked by Batman to explain yourself “Check the definition of racist and explain how Barr’s comment fits”, you’ve ignored that request and now you are asking Batman to explain what he wrote?

You haven’t earned the honor of an explanation, so no Bob, you explain yourself first!

Annoyingbob wrote:
    Sorry, Batty, that’s pretty f-ing stupid racist.”

One can utter an ethnic slur without being a racist. For example, I could label you a sanctimonious cornfed bird turd without harboring animus towards whites generally. Barr’s comment is purposefully degrading to VJ but not per se a racist remark according to Webster, but is according to the (unofficial) Lefty definition that I’ve posted elsewhere on this board.

In the ignoble Jeff Simpson tradition; are you calling me a f-ing stupid racist for explaining this to you?

Erratum:
    One can utter an ethnic/racial slur without being a racist. For example, I could label you a sanctimonious honky cornfed bird turd cracker without harboring animus towards whites collectively. Barr’s comment is purposefully degrading to VJ but not per se a racist remark according to Webster, but is according to the (unofficial) Lefty definition I have posted elsewhere on this board.

In the tradition of ignoble Jeff Simpson; are you calling me a f-ing stupid racist for explaining this to you?

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )