America’s political pendulum no longer swings, it lurches.
If Donald Trump did it, Joe Biden will undo it and back and forth. That’s how politics werkes these days. Trump built the wall, Biden tears it down. Trump backed the police (until January 6, anyway). Biden, who wrote the 1994 Lock ‘em Up legislation that made cities safer, is now so Woke he vibrates.
Republicans in Trump Only (RITOs) say the election was stolen. Democrats cry Racism if states restrict midnight ballot harvesting in the park. January 6 is a political Rohrsach test:
- Patriotic Minutemen fighting for truth and justice;
- Just an AARP tour bus excursion;
- An Antifa/FBI false flag operation;
- A lamentable “breach” of the Capitol;
- Failed insurrection and attempted coup;
- Worse than 911 and Pearl Harbor.
The root of the problem
Progressives and Trump populists — both extremes — demand more of our politics than a functioning democracy can deliver. Which is why the political spectrum is more a circle than a straight line. The Far Left and the Trump Right are impatient with deliberation; contemptuous of compromise. They want action, by force if necessary. They want it now. Your opposition is not only wrong but corrupt.
The qualitative difference, please, between the destruction, looting, arson and beat-downs in downtown Madison last summer and the Stop the Steal 01-06-21 in Washington DC?
Everything is a nut job conspiracy
- A fetid swamp of pedophiles and foreign agents jiggered the November 3 election.
- Adam Schiff had proof that Trump colluded with Putin. (Proof that went Poof! Really, is Schiff any less crazy than Marjorie Taylor Greene?)
- Brett Kavanaugh is a serial rapist, Michael Avenetti tells Rachel Maddow.
- Navy Seals loyal to Trump arrested and executed Resistance mastermind Hillary Clinton. (The fact check here.)
Blogge reader Gary Kriewald puts into words the delusion left unsaid by so many Trump foot soldiers. “To think how close that small band of patriots came on Jan. 6th to overthrowing the whole rotten apple cart!” (A response to our previous blogge, “Republicans can’t move on until they settle up.”)
→ Not to be outdone, the self-described voice of Dane County progressivism wants Big Gummint, in the form of the WI Elections Commission, to bar from the ballot “Trump and others who encouraged the insurrectionists.” (Here at The Capital Times.) Yeah, leave it to unelected bureaucrats to determine what “encouraged” means. Can’t trust the voters.
Blaska’s Bottom Line: Trump derangement is an equal opportunity syndrome. Kriewald and his RITOs drink the same bile as Antifa in Portland and BLM in Minneapolis. The former yearn for the imposition of an American Mussolini; the Hard Left wants to foment another Cuban revolution. Anyone who gets in the way will be canceled, purged, or executed.