Saying the most unpopular and unwelcome thing

‘I do not withdraw a single word’

“A former president, who provoked a violent attack on this capitol in an effort to steal the election, has resumed his aggressive effort to convince Americans that the election was stolen from him. He risks inciting further violence. Millions of Americans have been misled by the former president. They have heard only his words, but not the truth, as he continues to undermine our democratic process, sowing seeds of doubt about whether democracy really works at all.” U.S. Rep. Liz Cheney, R-WY 05-11-21.

We’re reading Andrew Roberts’ great bio Winston Churchill; Walking With Destiny.

It is 30 September 1938. Neville Chamberlain has returned to London from Munich, waving a scrap of paper. He had just given away democratic Czechoslovakia, its mountain defenses and significant armaments industries, to Adolph Hitler — free of charge — and he was damned proud of it.

King George VI invited the P.M. to share his balcony and accept the adulation of the crowds. Chamberlain was being likened to Disraeli and Gladstone for appeasing the dictator and forestalling his wrath.

In the House of Commons, a back bencher bucking his own party leaders, Churchill marshaled the English language and sent it into battle (as was said of him many years later).

Book cover, Winston Churchill walking with destiny

“I begin by saying the most unpopular and most unwelcome thing. I begin by saying what everybody would like to ignore or forget but which must nevertheless be stated, namely, that we have sustained a total and unmitigated defeat. … The German dictator, instead of snatching his victuals from the table, has been content to have them served to him course by course.”

For naught. On October 5, the House of Commons approved the Munich Agreement by 366 to 144. Churchill, long in the political wilderness, was now persona non grata in his own Conservative party. Andrew Roberts continues:

“Between November 1938 and mid-March 1939, Conservative Central Office made a coordinated and sophisticated attempt to deselect* Churchill as the Conservative candidate for Epping. (* Deselection is when support for an MP is withdrawn by their local party.) Biographer Roberts continues:

In a press statement [the local party boss] condemned what he called “Mr. Churchill’s unhelpful attitude towards the man at the helm” Afterwards, the Loughton branch passed a motion requesting that Churchill support the prime minister.  … On March 4, Epping constituency officials denounced the absent Churchill.

Roberts continues:

“Almost any other politician, faced with a revolt on such a scale in his constituency within a few months of a general election, would have made compromises or toned down his speeches to head off a potentially disastrous outcome. Instead, Churchill … told [his constituency] “I do not withdraw a single word. …”

“What is the use of parliament if it is not the place where true statements can be brought before the people? What is the use of sending members to the House of Commons who say just the popular things of the moment and merely endeavor to give satisfaction to the government whips by cheering loudly every ministerial platitude? People talk about our parliamentary institutions and democracy, but if these are to survive, it will not be because the constituencies return tame, docile, subservient member and try to stamp out every form of independent judgment.”

Roberts continues: “At dawn the next morning, the entire geopolitical landscape changed when Germany invaded the rump of Czechoslovakia. … All the years of protestations about how Hitler wished only to incorporate ethnic Germans into the Third Reich were revealed overnight to have been lies, and those appeasers who believed him to have been his dupes.”

Blaska’s Bottom Line: Churchill said of an opponent that history would not treat him well. “I know, because I intend to write that history.” History despises appeasement but rewards courage. Appeasement goes with the flow, courage stands against the odds.

Where do YOU stand?

This entry was posted in Donald Trump, Republicans, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

55 Responses to Saying the most unpopular and unwelcome thing

1. One eye says:

No one is going to pass the Winston Churchill purity test.

As Alinsky said, “Does this particular end justify this particular means?”. It might.

By the way:

“In war, the end justifies almost any means.” — During WWII, when Winston Churchill, a staunch anticommunist, was asked how he could reconcile being on the same side as the Soviets, he replied, “I only have one purpose, the destruction of Hitler, and my life is much simplified thereby. If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favorable reference to the Devil in the House of Commons.”

• Gary L. Kriewald says:

To say nothing of his decision to firebomb Dresden 3 months before the war ended, despite its being of no strategic value to the Allies whatsoever–an act of pure revenge for the London blitz. Be careful not to apply the deranged left’s purity standards to any one; it leads to, among other things, tearing down statues of Lincoln, Washington, John Muir, etc. No one is going to pass the Churchill purity test–including Churchill. There are plenty of reasons for ditching Liz besides her hatred of Trump.

Really? Such as? Elise Stefanik has one of the least conservative voting records in the caucus. Her lifetime score from the conservative group Heritage Action is a mere 56%, compared with Cheney’s 91%.

Liz Cheney voted with Trump 92.9% of the time, while Stefanik voted with Trump just 77.7% of the time. Indeed, Stefanik steadfastly opposed key elements of the Trump agenda. She voted against Trump’s singular legislative achievement — his 2017 tax reform bill — and against making his tax cuts permanent. She voted to block Trump from withdrawing from the Paris climate accords. She voted to condemn Trump for calling on the courts to invalidate the Affordable Care Act. She voted to overturn Trump’s emergency declaration at the southern border so he could fund the border wall, and then voted to override Trump’s veto of a bill that reversed his emergency declaration.

• A Voice in the Wilderness says:

You are disingenuous, Gary. In your eyes there is only one reason for “ditching” Congresswoman Cheney: she failed the Trump purity test.

From the guy who would liquidate his political opponents, Gary Kriewald, I do not want to hear your morality tales.

2. Mark Lemberger says:

Exactly why I a Trump fan.

3. Good Dog, Happy Man says:

Dear Dave,

I’ve admired Winston Churchill for a long, long time. I’ve read many of the books about his life and times. I’ve seen all the movies. Mrs. Good Dog, Happy Man and I visited the Churchill wing of the Whitehall War Rooms shortly after it opened. I’ve paid homage at his gravesite. I’ve visited his family’s estate at Blenheim Castle where he grew up. I’ve toured his home, his studio and his gardens at Chartwell. He’s one of my heroes.

I know Winston Churchill. He’s a friend of mine.
    Liz Cheney is no Winston Churchill, Dave.

He was no moderate.

He not a moderate. either.

For better or for worse, … you always knew where he stood.
    My Trump shrine is right next to my Churchill shrine.

I’m no Catholic, so I don’t worship either Saint Donald or Saint Winston.
    I worship the Almighty Creator, Nature’s God, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit alone.
    As my old homeboy, Martin Luther, said, “Here I stand, I can do no other.”,

GDHM

• old baldy says:

“Donald Trump is no Winston Churchill, either, but like Churchill he IS a strong leader.”

That is absolute and utter nonsense. trump is no leader, not of men, or a nation. He is a con man, a major league whiner, and unable to accept responsibility fore his actions.
      In other words, a loser.

4. One eye says:

Donna Brazile in UsaToday:
    “Liz Cheney’s ouster should alarm all fact-based Americans who believe in our country”

The Dems are going fact-based now? That’s the kiss of death for BLM and CRT. But I won’t hold my breath.

5. Balboa says:

Mr. Blaska I knew Winston Church he was close friend of mine and she is no Winston Churchill.

6. Tom PITA says:

Cheney’s a back-bencher water carrier for the Republican establishment who does not want to see Trump run again.

Well yes, of course Liz Cheney doesn’t want Trump to run again, Tom P. That IS the point, isn’t it? As for being a back bencher; she is now but only as of today. Then again, so was Churchill when he called out the appeasers. Are you an appeaser?

• Tom PITA says:

Hehehe. I don’t subscribe to your analogy David. Cheney is milquetoast compared to Churchill (and Trump is no Hitler). And just for clarity’s sake – I am saying that she is a mouthpiece, not a player.
        There was significant good in Trump’s actions as a President. He raised the boats of many people. He stood up for America. He threatened the powerbrokers. It was no insurrection, so what is there to appease?

• Tom PITA says:

Maybe better said: Cheney’s actions are as brave as walking down the driveway to pickup a check from the mailbox. With the same net results.

The difference PITA is Liz was willing to pay the price for her principles. You, on the other hand, are just a keyboard warrior.

• Tom PITA says:

Snoozing here David. Pay the price? – Prediction: Cheney will become an extremely well-paid think tank or lobbyist personoid. She’s as bold as a wet noodle. What’s your prediction for her?

“You will have to trust me on the following: you don’t know anything about what I have and continue to risk.”

• Tom PITA says:

“Tom Pita, neither does anyone else. I can tell you for a fact that I am here on Ground Zero in Madison WI bucking the Progressives, BLM, Freedom Inc., Antifa. You, on the other hand, hide behind an acronym.”

That is true David, I choose to use a nom-de-keyboard here. Having first hand experience with the arbitrary and capricious application of regulations at the local, state and federal levels, I have decided that the likelihood of bringing more of the same is increased by putting easily searchable ideas attached to real identity onto the interwebs.

So, can we engage each other here, or not? It is your site and I will abide by whatever decision you choose.

With Kindness and Appreciation,
          Tom

Have I booted you? Just don’t tell me how Liz Cheney is a back bencher coward when she willingly risked her hard-earned leadership position in order to speak the truth about the (ultimately unsuccessful) insurrection Trump fomented in an unconstitutional attempt to overturn his election defeat. Would that you could show such courage for what you believe. I am tired of keyboard warriors who want others to wage their battles for them.

• Tom PITA says:

Thank you Dave. Not wanting to belabor the point, but continuing might be of value and interest:
          ” Just don’t tell me how Liz Cheney is a back bencher coward when she willingly risked her hard-earned leadership position in order to speak the truth”

If by doing so she renounced her role in politics, including lobbying, think tanking, etc. I would agree. And if she donated all the money she’s received being a water-carrier for the Republican establishment, I would heartily agree. And if she gave up her wealth and decided to find a new life actually helping people, I would send her prayers and well wishes.
          Please note, I did not call her a coward. I said she wasn’t brave, two quite different positions.

“Would that you could show such courage for what you believe.”

Insisting that someone risk everything they have, their support of family and shutting off the thousands of people worldwide that depend on the work being accomplished, so that they can voice an opinion on a blog and be called brave? Not reasonable.

When it comes to actually doing something, not just writing about it, I am there. And have been. And will be. Finding meaningful leverage is the challenge. Hopefully we build partnerships for a better future by interacting here. And if it is our fate to put it all on the line or become slaves to those putting their play into action now. So be it.

Tom PITA, the unknown hero.

• A Voice in the Wilderness says:

Tom: Retrumplicans are fearful of being primaried and losing support from the Donald, which is why they’re eager to kiss his ring and mouth his lie that the 2020 Presidential election was stolen from him. Liz Cheney and other Repubs refuse to buy into this delusion, in spite of the media’s role in creating an image of Trump the puppet master.

• Tom PITA says:

AVitW: Thank you. I agree, there is a lot of triangulation going on within the Republican party as to which horse to back in the next race.

However, I believe that the election was rigged, Steve Witherspoon has done an excellent job delineating the methods.

As I think I’ve made clear here, I find Cheney to be a mouthpiece of the Republican establishment. I see no stand on principles. She is wealthy and I predict will do extremely well for her role in this circus.

• A Voice in the Wilderness says:

Interesting to see if House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy gets invited back to Mar-a-Lago after saying, “I don’t think anybody is questioning the legitimacy of the presidential election.” This, after ousting Cheney from leadership and following a meeting with President Biden. Maybe Trump will put McCarthy’s name on his list of bad players.

7. No one knows how history is going to write this story because the story is literally no over yet and jumping to predictions, such as comparing Cheney to Churchill, may be a bit premature.

I’m sometimes the devils inciting opposing critical thinking; so, what if it turns out in the end that President Trump is the one that should be compared to Churchill because he was correct about the 2020 election? Don’t discount the gut wrenching possibility until the story is actually complete and that may take a few years to conclude.

I chose to stay the hell out of the who’s right and who’s wrong controversary for now simply because I’m not in the inner circle that has all the behind the scenes facts. Also, we have been shown over and over again for the last 4+ years that the left’s Pravda like propaganda infused media will not disclose any facts that challenge their narrative, and it’s really clear that the left is controlling the narrative right now.

Putting your money on the My Pillow Guy? Trump has been saying the election was rigged since August when polls showed he was losing.

• David Blaska wrote, “Putting your money on the My Pillow Guy?”

I actually have absolutely no idea what you’re trying to say here.

David Blaska wrote, “Trump has been saying the election was rigged since August when polls showed he was losing.”

Heck I’ve been saying the election was rigged before Trump did.

REmember this comment…

Rigging is what the political left has done since election day in 2016 and they used innuendo filled and accusatory propaganda as their tool to do the rigging. Four years of continuous anti-Trump and anti-Republican propaganda is one of the ways that the Democrats and their lapdog media rigged, yes rigged, the 2020 Presidential election; it’s straight out of the USSR’s Pravda propaganda playbook. The political left has been actively perpetuating an outright fraud against we the people since just before the 2016 election. The left has been systematically trying to indoctrinate and brainwash we the people with their constant gaslighting which includes bastardizing the language and the United States Constitution to morph our culture into a totalitarian society that unquestionably follow whatever they dictate. The political left has brainwashed a huge cross section of we the people and stripped then of their ability to think critically, they’ve turned them into hive minded sheeple drones.

Rigged: manipulated or controlled by deceptive or dishonest means.

Rig: manage or conduct (something) fraudulently so as to produce a result or situation that is advantageous to a particular person or group.

Fraud: something intended to deceive others.

Fraudulently: in a way that involves deception.

Propaganda: The expression of opinions or actions carried out deliberately by individuals or groups with a view to influencing the opinions or actions of other individuals or groups for predetermined ends and through psychological manipulations.

Indoctrinate: teach (a person or group) to accept a set of beliefs uncritically.

Brainwash: make others adopt radically different beliefs by using systematic and often forcible pressure.

Bastardize: change (something) in such a way as to lower its quality or value, typically by adding new elements.

Systematic: done or acting according to a fixed plan or system; methodical.

Gaslighting: manipulate (someone) by psychological means into questioning their own sanity.

Morph: undergo or cause to undergo a gradual process of transformation.

Culture: the social behaviors and norms found in human societies, as well as the knowledge, beliefs, arts, laws, customs, capabilities, and habits of the individuals in these groups.

Revisiting the Intentional Brainwashing of the United States of America

In my opinion rigged is the right word to use with the 2020 election. Does that mean they didn’t count the actual votes properly, nope I’ve never ever claimed that. Were there less than legal ballots put in the mix of fully legal ballots, likely so but no one can tell which ballots were illegally in the mix anymore so it’s time for Trump to give that argument up.

8. richard lesiak says:

The gop are a bunch of cowards. Voice vote behind closed doors. No press. I never want to hear another word about cancel culture when they all walked out before Liz spoke. Shameful.

9. Mark Lemberger says:

We did not believe the Charlottesville Lie, nor the Russia!!! lie, nor the Trump is racist etc. lie nor the many other lies the liars threw at him. I do NOT believe the January 6th bum’s rush was organized, planned or much of anything important except for the death caused by a panicked capitol cop.
    That the president incited such a half assed enterprise is beyond stupid absent TDS.
    That he should be impeached for it is near criminal.
    That the January 6th incursion was serious is as stupid as the Whizzing Hooker Dossier. It is so weak that it quickly morphed into “prove the election was rigged!”
    Woe betide the Washington Party.

10. AdamC says:

Her latest comments are totally off the edge. She is continually obsessed with Trump and uses the most ridiculous hyperbole. Jan. 6 was an ill-advised 3-hour beer belly putsch. A few knuckleheads actually thought that they could get away with their foolishness considering more than a year of actual and continual rioting by Antifa and BLM were not only excused but even condoned.

There are 2 sets of rules, is clear. One side holds that it is perfectly acceptable for Democrats to claim election theft for their last 3 losses — Gore in 2000, Kerry in 2004 and Clinton in 2016. Each of those losses resulted in progressively crazier conspiracy theories as to why the crappy candidate lost. In 2001 AND in 2017, D.C. was wracked by Inauguration Day protests and violence that was minimized and downplayed.

On the other hand, questioning the widespread discarding of voter integrity (hey, feel free to toss your unverified ballots in a bag held by some stranger in a public park in September! No problem!) is grounds for punishment up to solitary confinement when done by non-liberals.

2 sets of rules, and it’s been that way for longer than people realize. It’s Carte Blanche for egregious behavior by liberals; anyone else better toe the line or else.

Putsch failed because police shot back.

• Mark Lemberger says:

Point blank. At an unarmed woman. Where did he get the courage?
        And the loudly reported five killings. And the cop beaten to death with the fire extinguisher and poor AOC hiding under her desk a block away.
        Anyone find the quote that launched all this?
        Yet?

But that’s the point, is it. Cops sent notice they would shoot to kill continued insurrection. We’ve already got Kriewald saying he wants to kill Democrats. If they had found Pelosi think they would settle for a chit chat?

“Putsch failed because police shot back.”

Was that before or after they were videotaped moving barriers out of the way to better accommodate those seeking a free tour of the White House?

• Tom PITA says:

Holy truth Batman!

‘shot back’ implies that the targets were also shooters, they weren’t.

• AdamC says:

Shot back? Name one single person there other than police who was armed with a weapon. I’ll wait.

11. One eye says:

I love the movie “Sicario” , except for the perpetually naive Emily Blunt character. Cheney reminds me of her. She should take Alejandro’s advice:

“You should move to a small town, somewhere the rule of law still exists. You will not survive here. You are not a wolf, and this is a land of wolves now.”

12. Mark Lemberger says:

Who was armed Squire? Who shot at cops before the cop killed the citizen? Kriewald! Squirrel!
    And Pelosi? Well they did move her podium.

That’s not the point either. Cops aren’t going to wait to get shot at first. They are going to protect Congress from a screaming mob smashing their way in to restricted areas. Don’t be a fool, Mark. This was no Capitol tour. You can maybe fuck with Portland but do not fuck with the feds. As for “quotes,” what quote bombed Pearl Harbor?

You mean those really well prepared, highly organized, and terribly outnumbered Feds—those Feds?

I suppose you make a valid point though Dave. Just ask the Waco, TX Branch Davidians. Oh wait never mind, they’re all burned up. Stationary targets give the Feds time to get organized so they can develop brilliant tactical strategies where they can really show their stuff. Just ask the family holed up on Ruby Ridge, Idaho. Oh wait never mind…

I know you’re too intelligent James to fall for false analogies. In Waco and Ruby Ridge, the feds attacked private citizens where they lived. On January 6, a mob attacked the Congress exercising its constitutionally mandated responsibility, egged on by the President of the United States. Question for you, James: Hang Mike Pence?

13. One eye says:

“You can maybe fuck with Portland but do not fuck with the feds. ”

Agree and that message was sent loud and clear to the mobs on both sides.

14. Mark Lemberger says:

Are you dancing or digging Squire?
    You just look silly doing both.

Dave,
    Not endorsing Jan. 6th especially because it was a set-up and frustrated, overzealous fools fell for it and now there are troops and razor wire surrounding the people’s house and more egg on the face of conservatives. If the Feds were a righteous lot they would have been prepared as Trump requested before hand. It is unlikely that young lady (and others) would be dead now if the wonder-boys were on top of things, as in just doing their job.

Instead, when it comes to the Feds we have a long, ugly, and very disturbing list of deadly bungles such as Nikolas Cruz murdering his fellow students after the Feds had numerous nice fat breadcrumbs of information ahead of time to prevent it. Not on private property.

“Hang Mike Pence” “pigs in a blanket, fry’ em like bacon”
    The bigger question is: is this protected speech?

16. Tom PITA says:

2023 Scenario (satire)
    From CNN Headquarters in Utah (yea, we moved, get over it)
    Press Release, no sorry, BREAKING NEWS, a CNN exclusive report:
    Back from obscurity, Mitt Romney today announced his candidacy for the Presidency of the United States. Banished to the back benches by his party for standing up for truth, justice and the American Way when he denounced Orange Man Bad as the greatest threat to democracy since
    Genghis Khan, Atilla the Hun, Joseph Stalin, Adolf Hitler, Mao and Pol Pot rolled into one, Mighty Mitt said “Aw shucks, I don’t hold grudges against my party, just ask any of those fine people who used to work at the companies we raped, I mean brought back from the brink of insolvency when I was at Bain.”
    Standing by his side, another profile in courage, was Liz Cheney. We remember her great self-sacrificial stand against the orange apocalypse. Banished by her party while she was the 3rd most powerful ranking member, languishing in obscurity while pulling down a seven figure salary
    at The American Enterprise Institute, she said, “I stand with Almighty God and those who love the truth, who cannot abide the Big Lie and embrace the Fool.”

Mitt continued “Today I announce my candidacy. I announce a New Wing of the Republican Party, the FB wing. Hah, you probably thought I was making a joke there. FB is just a short-hand for Fabian, which most of you wouldn’t understand. But FB is quite catchy, and has absolutely
    nothing to do with Facebook, Zuckerberg or Chan. Just take a look at our logo, which is the time-honored Coat-of-Arms of the great Fabian Society. (quick flash to the Coat-of-Arms). We stand in the tradition of those great empire builders of yesteryear, we will Make America Great Again. We will bring prosperity, enforce our Laws, sorry, I mean uphold the Constitution, and just get everything back to normal again. Free masks, free vaccinations, free money! Just go to our website, flash your identity card, I mean Vaccine ID, and you willautomatically become a member.”

Cuomo to Blitzer – “Wow Wolf, what do you think of this? Do you think Americans can handle this much Truth?”
    And now a word from our sponsor, NIH/Moderna

17. Edward Rothschild says:

Cannibalism at it’s finest on the far right side of the dial. Keep it up, boyz.