Checking in at UW Health in Madison? You are offered buttons to designate your preferred pronouns. Better than the interminable lifestyle questions (“Do you have firearms in your home”? Suggested answer: “Come in uninvited and find out.“) H//T to Gordie!
Liberal Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer, 83, will retire“The decision provides President Biden a chance to make good on his pledge to name a Black woman to the court.”What you wanna bet Biden names Kamala Harris to off load her?
Aaron Rodgers can still make it to the Super Bowl if Mike Pence has enough courage.
“At the World Heart Federation, we decided that it was imperative that we speak up about alcohol and the damages to health …” — Beatriz Champagne, chair of the advocacy committee that produced the report.
Martin Luther King had a dream that one day we would see greater diversity among anthropomorphised chocolate treats.
At last… that dream has come true.
— Titania McGrath (@TitaniaMcGrath) January 20, 2022
“Germany is giving Mr. Putin reason to doubt the West can really unite in response to a Russian invasion. Germany’s decision to close all its nuclear reactors by the end of 2022 has made it more dependent than ever on Russian energy imports” — Gerald Seib in the Wall Street Journal.
The attempt to draw Ukraine out of Russia’s orbit, the partway-open door to Ukrainians who preferred westward-focused alliances, was a foolish over-commitment even when American power was at its height. … in geopolitics good intentions are always downstream from the realities of power. Whatever its desires or ours, the government in Ukraine has simply never been in a position to fully join the West — it’s too economically weak, too internally divided and simply in the wrong place. — Ross Douthat, NY Times.
Don’t get brazen
with me, socialist!
Got a tip?
Get Blog e-mailed!
So Search Me!
Mouldering in the basement
While you were out
- Are you now (or have you ever been) Guamanian? January 26, 2022
- An editor & publisher at age 7 January 25, 2022
- The Werkes goes Progressive! January 24, 2022
- About last night January 23, 2022
- Good luck to the Ukrainians January 22, 2022
- Do American elections need UN observers? January 21, 2022
- Turtle beats hare in US Senate January 20, 2022
- Could Madison go up, up and away? January 19, 2022
- Media outlets, civic groups holding Feb. 9 debate
- Citizen Action: Milwaukee mayoral candidate forum 🗓
- NAACP: Milwaukee mayoral candidate forum
- WED PM Update: WILL asks state Supreme Court for emergency order banning unmanned drop boxes
- Milwaukee mayoral candidate forum 🗓
- U.S. Sen. Johnson: Announces mobile office hours
Favorite on-line reads