The U.S. Constitution is fueling a fiery hellscape?
Democrats have their playbook. It is titled “It’s Time to Fight Dirty.” For real!
Written by an associate professor of poly sci at Roosevelt University (located in greater Chicago and “committed to social justice”), It’s Time to Fight Dirty argues, in the words of a reviewer, that “Democrats should immediately use every lever they have to gum up the works in Washington to ensure they win full control of government in 2020.”
Yeah, that should do it. Sean Hannity could not have conjured a more damning indictment of the liberal-progressive-socialist enterprise. And we thought Kathy Griffin was paranoid!
Fight Dirty promises to claim pride of place on every social justice warrior’s faculty book shelf next to Saul Alinsky’s Rules for Radicals and Das Kapital.
Fight Dirty proposes nothing less than to correct “the design flaws in the Constitution.” These supposed design flaws go beyond the Electoral College, which recognizes that the country is a union of states unlike, say, France. None of its proposals have the slightest chance of passage, but here they are, anyway:
- Scrap winner-take-all congressional elections and replace with a system called “ranked-choice voting” (aka “instant run-off”). (This link explains it.) They do it in San Francisco, Oakland, and Berkeley — if that tells you anything.
- Make Washington D.C. and Puerto Rico states so as to elect more Democrat(ic) senators.
- Split California into seven states for the same reason. Seven!
- Double membership in the House of Representatives (it’s already at 435!)
- Pack the Supreme Court with more justices “and fill them with Progressives.” (Didn’t FDR try that?)
- Make election day a national holiday — but only for federal employees.
- Automatically register everyone to vote! Illegal immigrants? The book says EVERYONE!
Liberalism a hard sell
Missing from the Fight Dirty to-do list is anything about, you know, persuading voters of your cause. Selling your socialist ideas. Making government-funded abortion palatable to the religious. Raising taxes for “more free stuff.” Blaming police for urban crime. Confiscating guns from law-abiding citizens. Airlifting more pallets of U.S. greenbacks to Iran. Its relentless and divisive appeal to identity politics.
Besides which, if America is so irredeemably broken, if the Constitution so past its sell-by date, if the liberal-progressive-socialist cause such an impossible sell, the question arises: Who is going to implement Fight Dirty’s to-do list?
For that reason, professor David Faris’ book is something of a Quentin Tarantino revenge fantasy (except that our acquaintances on the Left don’t have guns). Which makes it catnip to the Trump-deranged New York Times. Whom does it pick to review such an unhinged screed? Another derangement sufferer. The subhead of his own book’s title ends “ … and the conservative assault on democracy.” If that tells you anything.
One can visualize the pussy-hatted reviewer mounting the ramparts, shaking an angry fist and shouting through a bullhorn that It’s Time to Fight Dirty to counter —as he writes — “right-wing nationalists, Randian zealots, and Christian fundamentalists — all laser-focused on repealing different aspects of the 20th Century while consigning our children to spend their golden years in a fiery hellscape.”
A FIERY HELLSCAPE!