Shut up, he explained

Trump won on the issues …

… but lost the debate. The President was petulant, angry, and unlikeable. Unpresidential after all these four years.

Doesn’t mean Trump is wrong on the issues — he’s not. Biden could not/would not answer a key question — would he eschew packing the Supreme Court? Trump scored again when he pointed out that law enforcement endorses him, not the Democrat. He landed a haymaker when he pointed out that Biden had never used his influence with Democrats to restore order in dysfunctional Portland and other cities. The Hunter Biden card is potent. Keep playing it.

The Left is all a-twitter over Trump’s comment, “Proud Boys, stand back and stand by.” The Left is always certain brown shirts are staging a putsch in a beer hall somewhere near you. A fair reading of the statement is “stand back and stand (aside).” It is the Left that is staging the kristallnacht, demanding the proper salute, and terrorizing neighborhoods. It is also fair to ask that if police are standing back and standing aside, who is left to defend life and property?

In any event, the indentured servants at Stately Blaska Manor backed away from the b&w Philco with 15 minutes left in the debate. Anyone know if it devolved into fisticuffs?

Biden’s best line, to Trump: “Shut up, man.”

Pundit quote of the Day: “Watching Trump was like being cornered by some over-sized, over-bearing drunk at a party who spills his beer on you while insisting that Lee Harvey Oswald is still alive.” — never-Trumper Bret Stephens, (failing) New York Times.

Blaska’s Bottom Line: We do like a fighter but Trump could learn from The Greatest: float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. Instead, the President was a rhinoceros with a sledge hammer. ADDED: Chris Wallace was fair (the Far Left hated him as much as did my friends on the Right) but he could have just dropped the puck and let the two duke it out. Please do not censor debates!

What was YOUR favorite/worst moment of the debate?

This entry was posted in Donald Trump, Election 2020, Uncle Joe. Bookmark the permalink.

52 Responses to Shut up, he explained

1. Out of pure respect for my wife I intentionally didn’t watch the debate live last night because I knew I’d be ripping the skin off my face, screaming uncontrollably at the TV, and probably end up smashing the TV into pieces. I made a promised to myself and my wife years ago to never bring home “those” military parts of me and I intend to keep my promise. My wife and family don’t ever need to see that side of me.

I went to CSPAN this morning and started watching the video, well actually I was listening to it as I tried to work on some assemblies in my CAD system. I got less than twenty minutes into the debate and I had to turn it off because I couldn’t stand listening to those two politicians going at it without loosing my cool and I couldn’t concentrate on my work. How the hell did the United States fall so far off the rails that we ended up with these two pieces of…… arrrrgh…….. these two politicians debating each other for President of the United States? Seriously; these are the kind of people we are choosing to be in the White House?

We deserve the crap we get!

I’ve passed frustration and gone straight to anger!!!

I’m voting strictly on policy and absolutely nothing else! If I go down the rabbit hole of comparing the two politicians based on anything else I fear it’ll consume me I’ll probably loose it. If I continue to listen to these two politicians over the next month, it’s going to make me physically sick. Maybe they should save a nice quiet padded room for me in the loony bin.

How many unethical rationalizations did I use above; oh never mind, I just don’t care.

I’m in a really shitty mood right now, I’ve got work to get done, I’ve need to find a way to get back on track. Maybe writing about it here will allow some release.

P.S. I had to edit out an overly abundant amount of serious anger based foul language, now I think it’s time for an engineering walk around the plant.

Agreed Steve; after ~ 25 minutes The Gotch walked out past his lovely and long-suffering wife (watching in another room) and said: “This is why I don’t watch these things.”

Ended up doing crossword puzzles.

Line_Of_The_Night: The Donald (to Chris Wallace [who SUCKED!]):

”I guess I’m debating you” not Biden.

• georgessson says:

Looked FWD to viewing at 5 M today, but gave up after a mere hour. Masochism ain’t me. Yep, I’ll go w/ “policy”, too. But ain’t happy about it. America, is this all ya got ?

2. Amos Roe says:

Yeah, no kidding. I checked in for a while and was appalled by how terrible the president acted. Saves time and energy with that letter I was feeling compelled to write in his support. Let the chips fall where they may, and what a shame…….I think we will all be paying dearly in the future for that unbelievably childish performance. And against a guy like Biden? It truly boggles the mind.

3. One of THOSE says:

These are miserable times in the USA. It was at least bearable to select the lesser of two evils last time; now I’m overdosing on sodium bicarbonate, holding my nose and questioning whether or not to keep putting up with this nonsense every day. Retirement to a laid back Central American country has moved to the top of the list.

4. Jack Frost says:

The most enjoyable parts of the debate was when Trump just let Biden ramble on. . . those were great “what the hell is he talking about?” moments. . .

5. sahmpaw says:

I think he forgot he was in a debate and not…..at a press conference arguing with the reporters or at one of his rallies. Ugh. I do think they had Biden’s camera at an angle where they got his “good side”. And Trump didn’t get the same. Also, the Proud Boys were in Portland and that event took place peacefully, despite Governor Brown’s warnings and hand-wringing over their arrival. He should have made that point!

6. Robski says:

The best part of the debate was when it was over. It was a complete shitshow, a debacle, a train wreck to say the least. I made it 30 minutes before I hit the mute button, Mrs. Robski sat through the whole thing, don’t know how she made it through that nightmare. It was disillusioning and as George Carlin said “if this is the best our system can produce then I’m not impressed.” I may follow Carlin’s philosophy and just stay home on Election Day.

7. sentient7 says:

Always said and believed that millions of IGNORANT Trump supporters, and that is not all of them, should have backed Cruz. Trump demagogued Cruz to victory after the Wisconsin primary…………..and escaped with a win of Hillary. NOW the truth of Trump is now laid bare. Most of his policies are reasonable, but he is too stupid to debate, understand ideas, or be President. His vocabulary doesn’t rise to average 4th-grade level. It reflects an underdeveloped mind. On his best day, he might have an average intellect, but as President, he is simply too stupid. The debate again made that clear….such an embarrassment to libertarians and conservatives.

Very unlikely he will win…………….. His ignorance is a fatal flaw.

• sahmpaw says:

I think he has a huge heart and that’s what I (and others) like about him. And he is a fighter for what’s right and true.

• Liberty says:

Sentient,

For someone who criticizes the president for his petulance, you’re very condescending, More so than anyone on here. Actually, the people (the left, swamp, and never-Trumpers) who call out Trump’s personality are some of the most mean-spirited people I’ve ever seen or met.

Plus I wouldn’t get too smug just yet. I recall past presidents, including Obama, sucking in debates, yet still winning. People have already made up their minds and this debate will do little to change it.

Anyone who votes based on a candidate’s likeability factor, their own raw emotion, or one debate is not a well-rounded American.

• sentient7 says:

Liberty,
        It is not his personality………it is undisciplined personality while debating…and while failing so many times during his first 3 years. Examples:
        Examples…..
        #1 he has not ordered a forensic review of ALL government emails of Rosenstein, Brennan, Yates, Dan Coats, Clapper, and Lynch to determine how they conspired to destroy his term as President.
        Trump has the power to expose their past actions, but he has refused to use it, or is too ignorant about the idea. He could have stopped the Mueller team in its tracks.

#2 he has refused to order the DoJ and DoS to comply expeditiously with all FOIA requests of Judicial Watch.

#3 he has NOT ordered Pompeo to assist Judicial Watch for timely replies to FOIA

#4 he has pushed to eliminate FICA taxes that support Social Security………thus giving Biden a HUGE PR theme that is now being used in Wisconsin ->> Trump is planning to destroy Social Security.

#5 he has been far too passive in not forcing cities to abandon “Sanctuary Status”

#5 he has not requested a several-day summit with Putin. Trump fears Democrats.

#6 he has not made any effort to become even slightly more tactful in his public statements, continuing crudely with his shoot-from-the-hip

# 7 his unreformed, double and triple use of descriptive generalities and words that actually have the opposite impact. People are so tired of his “really fantastic” descriptive phrases. He can’t even articulate his virtues and accomplishments clearly. Most college grads correctly understand his inferior intellect and speech patterns. Don’t you?

#8 he has failed to communicate to Barr that Atty Durham must issue a temporary report by Oct 15 so the American people would know more about corruption before the election

—————-

Plus a host of other issues that he failed to exploit in the “debate” with Biden.

Yeah, that $#!t really pisses Batman off as well.

• Amos Roe says:

Sentient7 – The only problem with your criticisms, IMO, is the assumption that
          he’s working with people who would have his back.
          I don’t see much evidence that he has anyone he can really trust.

• Liberty says:

President Trump does not act like a statesman and he’s not an intellectual. He’s a tough talking New Yorker who was never groomed for politics.

He says things like they are, and while brass and crude at times, there are people (including myself) who see his brand of honesty as refreshing. I know what I’m getting with Trump. Did his behavior at certain junctures during the debate make me cringe? Do I see how his bragging on Twitter can be seen as a turnoff? You bet.

He’s also defensive, which given the fact that while getting stuff done for the country, he’s constantly fighting not just the left, but the media (marketing arm of the DNC), the swamp, never-Trumpers, Russia conspiracies, and false conspiracies attempting to label his son as a traitor, and so on, is understandable.

If you get past Trump’s “tone” and read the transcripts (then compare his words which those of Biden, who pretty much said nothing substantial), you see someone, who despite his demeanor, is a genuine leader.

He’s imperfect and has not gotten everything right. Name me ONE president who has.

Most of the media (which is owned by a few corporations; WaPO by liberal Jeff Bezos) are Democratic activists. In fact, many in the media are married or related to Democratic staffers.

They CONSTANTLY criticize Trump while downplaying his successes. And they do this while giving Biden passes. Not once or twice, but ALL THE TIME. Have you seen the footage of Biden acting callously to dissenters when he thinks nobody’s watching? Not once or twice, but multiple times. Leftist media doesn’t air this. No, but they will take something Trump said and blow it out of proportion.

Major peace deals between UAE & Israel? Destroying ISIS? Bringing Afghanistan troops home? Fighting to protect mining jobs from China? Major prison reform that released thousands of Black Americans from prison? Nary a peep from liberal media. Ironically, aren’t many of these the things liberals have fought more in the past?

But you don’t like his TONE?

You know what, I don’t like Biden’s tone. I don’t like how he talks to dissenters, how he talks down to Black people “you ain’t black” “cornpop” or “Obama is the first clean AA candidate” and so on.

Additionally, he’s had 47 years to make changes, but what has he accomplished during this time?

One more note: I’ve noticed that the people who criticize Trump for his tone are ironically some of the mean-spirited, unhappiest people I’ve met. Donations to the Biden campaign surged after he called Trump a clown. Now how’s that for tone and demeanor?

• Liberty says:

Amos, excellent point!

The Swamp is indeed a corrupt and dirty place.

8. Serendipity says:

Couldn’t take “Debate Night”. Ended up with “The Dead Files”. That show is hysterical.

9. Gary Kriewald says:

Every time you think the level of public discourse can’t possibly sink any lower ….

• Serendipity says:

What’s wrong? Never watched Dead Files? Last night’s debate could easily carry the same title. The Trvl Channel show has special effects. Don’t knock it.

“Second takeaway: Joe Biden is not senile — the desperate line of attack that Tucker Carlson (in particular) has been pushing for months. The former veep was sharp, stayed on message, looked voters in the eye and spoke to them. Trump, despite innumerable interruptions, could not rattle him. Anyways, Biden did not pee himself, insofar as we know.”

Dave declares not senile. Perhaps the docs were in the process of titrating his dosage (while hiding out) but otherwise how do you explain his continual incoherence the past several months?

Take a close-up look at his eyes…dilated. Were he a horse, rather than a horse’s @$$, you wouldn’t let him run that day.

“continual incoherence the past several months?”

The Gotch will spare the rather lengthy highlight reel…however:

DemantiaJoe: “Cause if you could take care, if you were a QUARTERMASTER, you can sure in hell take care runnin’ a, you know, a department store uh, thing, you know, where, in the second floor of the ladies department or whatever, you know what I mean?

No DementiaJoe, we DON’T know what you mean; do you…?

• Liberty says:

Agree, Batman.

Gotch, you always give me a much-needed chuckle.

Yep, not senile, but not exactly a shining example of coherence, either.

11. Fritzderkat says:

Agreed, this was awful.

12. Kooter says:

The worst part for me was moderator, Chris Wallace. His bias was obvious and he conducted the debate in a terrible fashion. I’ve definitely lost respect for him.

• Liberty says:

Couldn’t agree more.

Kooter,
      Observing that pasty-face partisan prick Chris Wallace the past few years leaves the unmistakable impression he hates Trump and his administration. FOX made a huge mistake choosing him to moderate and Trump was right when in frustration he asked why he must debate both Biden and Wallace. Bret Baier would have been the superior choice.

A-hole Chris Wallace to Trump: “Are you willing tonight to condemn white supremacists and militia groups?” He never asked Biden to condemn Antifa.

Sure Chris; it’s those bad bad white supremacists that have been wreaking havoc the past several months and then Wallace allows the automaton Joe to get away with saying the FBI director says Antifa is an idea not an organization.

13. Liberty says:

Trump is loud and brash, and he’s not an intellectual. We already knew to expect this. So why are people so surprised?

Remember his debate with Hillary? The left was doing backflips too afterwards, and look how that turned out.

Trump is definitely defensive, but I also give him allowances for this. The guy is constantly having to fight off leftist media (including Chris Wallace), the Swamp, the unhinged left, and Never-Trumpers. He’s not a politician and was never groomed for it, unlike career politicians like Biden, who even after having 47 years in office, didn’t exactly shine last night.

Disagree about your take on Biden. He was disrespectful to Trump, calling him a clown, liar, and loser. To me, he came off as arrogant and condescending, and although not exactly senile, to me he looked robotic, indicating he was possibly on something. Definitely not presidential. He rambled and couldn’t answer basic questions, like about packing courts, and couldn’t disavow Antifa.

I’m not swayed one bit by this debate and choose to look at Trump’s accomplishments, as well as what Biden will do to this country if elected. And I suspect (no, I KNOW) I’m not alone in feeling this.

This is just ONE debate. In the past, prior to having access to multiple news outlets, it would have counted. But people who love Trump know what he’s about and know his accomplishments.

The energy for Trump is HUGE. The sizeable rallies, the high approval rating, the higher ratio of new Republican to Democratic registered voters in states like Pennsylvania, the high approval rating from Blacks (20 to 28%!) and Hispanics.

I think the race will be close, but ultimately people value law and order and jobs. This is where Trump shines.

• Kooter says:

Agree. Curious to me is how Trump supporters could care less about his personality and demeanor and are driven by policy whereas liberals get caught up in his personality and have no clue about the policy. Trump has done a remarkable job advancing policy despite the Stacked deck of Resitance Media and Progressive doublespeak.

• Liberty says:

Very true. I learned at a young that there’s a HUGE difference between personality and character. Anyone can learn to talk a good game. It’s what they DO, not say, that counts.

Ironically, the left’s sensitivities are so easily offended, yet the leftists I encounter are quite mean-spirited and callous themselves.

What Trump’s accomplished in less than four years is nothing short of astonishing:

-Created major prison form, which resulted in the release of thousands of Black Americans from prison who were not a threat to society.

-Black America plan that will invest billions in Black businesses and label the KKK as a terrorist group.

-Against trade deals that are unfair to the US.

-Peace deal between Israel and UAE

-Withdrew troops from Afghanistan

-No new wars

-Abolished ISIS

-Created task force to crack down on human trafficking.

MANY OF THESE ARE THINGS LIBERALS USED TO WANT!

You know what, I’ll tolerate the crassness and petulance to get results like this. Biden has had 47 years in office and what exactly has he accomplished? He’s not even a good talker. He’s a nothing.

• sahmpaw says:

He was also nominated for three peace prizes. Liberals used to have “Attack Iraq? NO!” on their bumpers when George W was president but they could care less what Trump has done in terms of foreign policy.

• Liberty says:

Sahmpaw,

Right on! And you’re right. Liberals should be jumping up and down for joy over these peace deals, but they’re too consumed with hate for him.

14. Almostarepublican says:

The debate was a shit show as others have said. I doubt that Trump’s performance will dent the zeal of his supporters. The real question is, was Biden’s performance enough to draw in new voters, enough to tip the scales? I thought he did okay, but I didn’t appreciate his condescending attitude .It was that attitude that got Trump elected in the first place. Hillary laughed at him in a similar manner. I expected more from him. I’m not looking forward to the next debate.

• Liberty says:

Excellent analysis!

It is this precise brand of smugness, condescension, and elitism that galvanizes Republicans and turns off moderate Democrats.

I say this as someone who #walkedaway from the Ds in 2016 (they actually walked away from me) and never looked back.

I’ll never forget when Hillary talked down to the electorate, saying “I’ll get white people to understand” as if the rest of us are stupid. I see the same attitude in Biden and it’s a HUGE turnoff.

15. Larsen E. Whipsnade says:

Trump is macho, a non-politician, a doer, and is a strong horse. In times of trouble, people will instinctively follow the strong horse.

16. georgessson says:

CNN’s Dana Bash finally got sumthin’ right: “A real S***Show”….

17. SeizeTheDay (Diane) says:

Although I am an Independent, the last election was a total “hold my nose and vote” scenario for me. To me, Trump was a vain, loudmouthed boor — not to mention a jerk and a bully — and the Clintons seemed like lying sleazeballs who carelessly “used and abused” people in their relentless pursuit of personal gain. Trump’s treatment of women was repugnant to me, as was Hillary performing the “Catholic bishop’s role” in covering up for Slick Willie’s sexual escapades. Only Hillary took it one step further than the bishops and aggressively attacked Bill’s victims, trying to destroy their reputations. Don’t even get me started on the games she played with her private server. One op ed piece I read called her “more secretive than Nixon.” It seemed clear that both candidates seemed to have plenty of skeletons rattling around in their closets which would not withstand the light of day.

And now I am asking the same question again. Biden lies about his resume, his credentials, and his and Hunter’s role in the Ukraine, and Trump seems to lie — or engage in hyperbole — about almost everything. Not only has Trump proven himself to be far less “presidential” and far more vain, thin-skinned, impulsive, bullying, ill-informed and self-aggrandizing than I had ever imagined (while the hapless Republicans look like deer in the headlights), but the radical lurch leftward of the Democrats (and Biden’s swift submission) threatens the very foundational values and institutions of the country I hold so dear. So once again I stare at my ballot, stomach lurching, and am forced to ponder: which candidate scares me the most and which one scares me the least?

Being an Independent is a tough gig.

STD(Diane),
      Fine encapsulation but as a fellow independent it is not a tough call at all because the left has become an existential threat and Trump (minus his lousy personality) is doing an excellent job especially considering the relentless 24/7 composite of forces actively aligned against him unlike any President before him.
      Just vote policy and Trump’s record~~~> it is a no-brainer.

• Liberty says:

Batman,

Right on!

I tell people this: Even if you don’t like Trump or refuse to acknowledge his accomplishments, at least consider what a Biden presidency would look like.

• georgessson says:

Superb analysis of the past & present dilemma, Diane. Every word you wrote is heartfelt and gut wrenching. And, sigh, true.

• Liberty says:

“In this great country we have thousands of people with incredible leadership gifts, employing these gifts in countless ways for nonprofits, schools, businesses, and local and state government. Why, I wondered at the time, did none of these fine people rise to the top and become presidential candidates? How was this great nation left with two such dismal choices?”

Two reasons:

1. A deep state (including the media) that doesn’t allow for the type of leader you describe. They want someone they can control.

2. The landscape has become so toxic and dangerous that good people don’t want to expose themselves and their families.

• Amos Roe says:

Liberty, I’ve read all your posts on this thread several times and agree with pretty much all you’ve said. The only exception, and it’s not minor, is your claim that Trump’s behavior was in character and something we should have expected. I don’t have encyclopedic knowledge of all of Trump’s press conferences, but I’ve seen a good number of them, and I don’t ever recall anything that would have prepared me for what I saw during the few minutes I could stomach (probably 10 minutes max.) In fact, all of his skill as a debater, including his masterly sense of comedic timing, was completely absent. I have NEVER seen something coming from him like this before. It makes me seriously wonder whether he isn’t subconsciously trying to lose the election because he’s just can’t face the idea of having to face four more years of the hell he’s been subjected to since the first day he was put in office. Could anyone blame him? And yes, there may well be input from Melania going on in this regard as well. All I can say is that when future assessments are written, Trump’s unbelievable strength over the last four years will have to be front and center in any accurate portrayal of this man.

But what a terrible way to go out. Seems to me he should have followed LBJ’s example if this is the case. And yes, many of us will still vote for him, given how untenable Biden -ie: an unbelievably corrupt Democratic Party- is.

One other disappointment for me during the few minutes I listened, BTW, did regard policy. This was the weakness I was hearing from him regarding the Covid issue. At a time when more people are finally waking up to what some of us believe is perhaps the single most massive fraud in human history, he now is going the other way? https://www.aier.org/article/open-letter-from-medical-doctors-and-health-professionals-to-all-belgian-authorities-and-all-belgian-media/ Instead of using this international platform to promote the balanced and informed position of his disgracefully censored health advisor, Dr Scott Atlas https://www.hoover.org/research/doctor-scott-atlas-and-efficacy-lockdowns-social-distancing-and-closings, he’s actually citing a guy like Fauchi who I thought he has been fighting with for months? Science is now finally catching up with Trump’s early instincts, and yet he’s now heading the other way?

Amos,
          You may be overthinking your analysis of Trump’s performance but I agree with the rest of your comment. Trump may not have prepared much because of his duties, appeared fatigued, probably because of his work load and the relentless collective negative energy directed at him, and figured he was going to be confronting a mind gimp but instead Joe’s docs got his med dosage figured out just in time. Second debate will be more revealing, if Joe shows up.

• Amos Roe says:

Batman – Replying here because I don’t see a method to do it directly to your comment.
          You could be right about the not caring if he loses analysis, although I do think it’s possible. For example, I doubt that he’s under any illusion that he can keep the economy going for another four years, and I’m thinking he’d prefer that this mess be left for the next guy to take the blame. I also don’t think being president is helping his personal life at all.

Yes, the Biden thing is indeed interesting, and I agree that the second debate could be
          more revealing. Still amazed, given what we’ve all seen of his cognitive decline over the past year, that he was able to pull this one off so brilliantly.

• sentient7 says:

I could never vote for Open Borders. That alone is enough.
      I could never vote for “defunding” police.
      I could never vote for anyone who advocates reparations and supports critical race theory.
      Bidens’ multiple financial crimes must be exposed.

18. Robert Fowler says:

Biden won easily……….Trump off the wall.