We’re Waltzing Matilda
We had always wanted to write that headline but now I don’t. The Dow Jones Industrial average dropped 2,997 points today — the biggest one-day point drop in history. President Trump — TRUMP! — is advising:
- People should avoid gathering in groups of more than 10;
- People should stay away from bars, restaurants, and food courts, and
- No travel, if possible.
The white lab coats at the Policy Werkes (now all on unpaid furlough) have been predicting recession since last Thursday. There’s something in all of this about Fred Astaire using up all the petrol in the movie version of On the Beach. We heard nothing Sunday night (03-15-2020) from the Democrat(ic) presidential candidates that they predicted or advocated for earlier or more decisive action.
A friend’s long-awaited organ transplant has been postponed due to COVID-19, aka the coronavirus, WWWoo. Parking lots are empty.
A submarine is looking for signs of life in San Francisco. The Stately Manor is prepared to take in laundry.
- Orchard Ridge neighborhood assn is assembling a list of volunteers to help neighbors who can’t get out of the house during the coronavirus outbreak.
- A WI governor’s and local government’s emergency powers, in statute.
- Milwaukee archdiocese suspends Mass.
Blaska’s Bottom Line: We asked when would state government shut down. It will soon. When this is all over — and it will be — the economy will come roaring back and we’ll beat this thing.