Blaska’s policy agenda for the new year!
Jonathan Swift would call these modest proposals. Progressives will claim to be triggered and demand reparations. Totally disregarding popular demand, once again The Werkes proposes uncommon sense proposals for a prosperous new year in Madison WI:
1) Amend the Wisconsin Constitution to place the Department of Public Instruction in the governor’s appointive cabinet rather than as an elected office. Education should sit at the same table with the governor as transportation, natural resources, prisons, public health, and revenue.
2) Revise the criminal code to automatically charge custodial parents or guardians with a crime equivalent to the offense for which their minor child is being adjudicated.
3) Ease legal requirements for the state to seize chronic juvenile delinquents (remember that term?) and commit them to a secure residential educational facility. Build out the old Oscar Mayer plant on Madison’s NE side for that purpose. Include agriculture, food preparation, and the trades with access to nearby MATC.
4) Abolish the Police Civilian Oversight Board and furlough its overpaid director.
5) Deep six the Madison “food market.”
6) Enforce the prohibition of panhandling on street intersections.
7) Deny bail for any defendant previously convicted or presently charged with jumping bail.
8) Stop collecting data by racial category — starting with the U.S. Census.
9) Create a local, moderate political party that would coordinate candidate recruitment for Madison Common Council, school board and county supervisor. Could share messaging and raise unlimited campaign funds. To counter far-Left Progressive Dane.
10) Return the Chamberlin Rock to its rightful place on the University of Wisconsin’s Madison campus and restore the good name of alumnus Fredric March.
11) Shut down university grievance studies.
12) Elect Madison school board members at large from one pool of candidates, rather than by — uniquely in the state — numbered seats.
13) Return school resource police officers to Madison’s public high schools and add middle schools.
14) Statewide, universal school choice regardless of income!
15 Rescind the requirement that school district superintendents hold a doctorate in educational administration.
16) Body cameras for Madison police!
17) Allow school personnel to carry weapons on school grounds if licensed for CCW and live ammo training, to be registered with and indemnified by the district.
18) Commit to next-generation nuclear energy.
19) Build a knock-your-eyes out, landmark Catholic diocesan cathedral.
20) Prohibit political demonstrations in residentially zoned areas. Their purpose is intimidation, not sharing ideas.
21) Hold establishments that prohibit firearms without active screening financially liable for resulting casualties.
22) Erect a monorail from the Alliant Energy campus forking west to Camp Randall stadium and the Kohl Center and east to Monona Terrace and the State Capitol. Takes advantage of parking at Alliant and encourages multi-venue events. Its own tourist attraction with great views across Lake Monona.
23) Build the damn ☠️💣!! 🤪✖︎ jail!