High school turmoil prompts emergency school board meeting

Restore school cops

Wracked by on-going fighting in Madison’s public schools, the board of education is meeting in special session Monday 11-15-21 at 5 p.m. It can be livestreamed on the Madison School Board YouTube page. Live virtual comment sign-up begins at 4:30 p.m. E-mail comments beginning today. Instructions here. (Do not be so foolish as to list your street address. Just type a generic word.) The school board plans to go into closed session sometime during Monday’s meeting.

Cowboy saloon brawl

What, exactly, they can do about the turmoil is questionable. Or are willing to do. The surest move is to dust off the school resource officers contract they spurned last year and bite into next year’s budget, which they enacted earlier this month with an 8.9% hike in our property taxes.

Monday 11-08-21, Twelve police squad cars, two ambulances and a fire truck responded to multiple brawls outside East high school. Police resorted to pepper spray to quell the disturbance. Five students were treated at hospital. One officer was struck. The following day, a third of the large student body stayed home. That was only the most notorious fight.

Michael Johnson, president and CEO of the Boys and Girls Clubs of Dane County, told the Wisconsin State Journal: “It comes down to rethinking some of the policy decisions that were made,” he said, pointing to the removal of SROs before a new safety plan had been tested and implemented. “If people don’t feel safe, if kids don’t feel safe in school, you will see flight.”

Blaska’s Bottom LineAt which point, those who do flee will be called racist, no matter their skin tone.

Will you make your voice heard?

About David Blaska

Madison WI
This entry was posted in Cops in schools, Madison schools and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to High school turmoil prompts emergency school board meeting

  1. Mike says:

    All of this “reimagining” talked about how come no one mentions reimagining the behavior of the individuals involved and in society in general? You can reimagine public safety until the cows come home but if there is no behavior modifications in the public in general and students in particular, any and all effort to improve things is a waste of time.

    Liked by 4 people

  2. fritzderkat says:

    Sweet irony.
    This is to laugh.

    Liked by 1 person

  3. Liberty says:

    The parents of the students, as well as the teachers, should be leading and organizing any change. Though we are all to some extent impacted by poor performing schools, this is more directly their fight.

    Liked by 1 person

  4. Scott F says:

    Sow, reap – ad infinitum………


  5. georgessson says:

    No surprise here… Isthmus bemoans: “Wisconsin imprisons 1 in 36 Black adults. No state has a higher rate.” Of course we do -we arrest those folks who commit crimes ! Too many POC thugs being groomed in HS, Nay, even grade school. And that means as they grow older, they’re gonna commit crimes at an astounding NON-diverse rate. Further, the majority of the initial arrests are 911 calls -So guessin’ 911 callers are white supremacists now, too? But Hey, crime solving and prevention/protection aren’t a priority, or even a consideration, for folks who over-think everything…

    Liked by 2 people

    • Normwegian says:

      You cannot mention demographics of the participants in these melees. Similar to the rest of the arrests in Dane county. BUT, if you get bored, go to the DCSO app and click on “resident info.” Or, “warrants,” Dog the Bounty hunter would have a field day if it was legal in Wisconsin.

      Liked by 2 people

  6. Attila says:

    We all heard Savion Castro speak (and get VERY snarky) at the press conference at East. He is only one reason MMSD blows. I have NO (not even a little) confidence in these dunces on the school board. They will NEVER sign another contract with MPD to get SRO’s. They know better than the students and their parents.

    I can’t say how grateful I am that my kids graduated H.S. over 15 years ago. Today, they wouldn’t get a Madistan public school education that would qualify them for college.

    “You graduated from a Madison high school? Oh hell naw.”

    Liked by 2 people

  7. Normwegian says:

    Yup, pull out the SROs without a plan. Sound like Afghanistan? Karma is a b1tch.


  8. Good Dog, Happy Man says:

    If you’re a poor American with a kid stuck in a failing public school, the biggest hindrance to getting your child a better education are the smug, sanctimonious snooty-elite educrats on the Left.

    Education is the key to escaping poverty, generational dependence and welfare.
    Keeping kids trapped, especially minority kids, in a failing school is unconscionable.
    Since it might be their one and only chance of success, … it’s flat out evil.

    It’s true, black students are disproportionately disciplined in public schools. That doesn’t mean we should let them skate on the consequenes of their behavior. What lesson is learned by that?
    It just enables more bad behavior. Whether it’s because of Leftist white guilt, political correctness or raw expediency, when discipline is NOT imposed, it hurts the entire community’s chance for an equal educational opportunity.

    Playing proglobotic politics with school discipline is unconscionable. Bad behavior, lack of respect, manners, propriety and self-restraint is crushing education. If 10% of the kids are disruptive, disrespectful and violent, the chance of effectively teaching the other 90% is very slim.

    Why should a regular, normal, average student be forced to walk through a loud, obscene, hallway gauntlet of bullies, thugs and abusive threats just to get to his next class?

    Public education is America is worse than you thought.
    Here’s couple of recent articles by Dr. Carole Haynes.
    Trigger Warning: She offers only one solution.
    Perhaps she’s right.



    Liked by 1 person

  9. jimydandy says:

    McPike be turning in his grave.

    Liked by 2 people

  10. patrickmoloughlin says:

    A preemptive strike from Mike Jones, head of MTI:

    “The district has not adequately addressed staffing and professional development concerns that align with an anti-racist and equitable approach to student and staff safety in our schools,” Jones said.

    “Let me be clear though: Any discussion around returning SROs to high schools is steeped in a misguided notion that bringing a police officer into the schools will alleviate ongoing tensions,” he continued.

    Right. The last thing we need now is an SRO roaming the halls, deterring violence with his mere presence, using their considerable skills of de-escalation and conflict resolution, gained through years of actual, you know, experience dealing with those real life situations, in, you know, real life. Why put a person like that in there, when you can instead deploy a team of conspicuously unarmed woke counselors, seeking a return on that bachelors degree in psychology, or sociology that they paid $80,000 for. After all, we’ve had police around for hundreds of years, and the same stuff keeps happening. This seems like a good time to re-imagine security (or as some would call it, “slave catching.”)

    Liked by 1 person

    • David Blaska says:

      Which is why the teachers union is the problem everywhere it exists. The voters of Virginia sent that message. Madison may not but Wisconsin as a whole likely will next year.


  11. One eye says:

    Bring back SROs to help stem violence in Madison schools

    Wisconsin State Journal editorial board

    Liked by 1 person

Comments are closed.