Teachers are abused by low expectations

It’s not Act 10; its kids, their over-protective parents,
and virtue-signaling administrators

Julie Marburger was a school teacher at Cedar Creek, Texas, a suburb of Austin. She posted this on social media (H/T Greg L.) shortly before the end of the 2018-2019 [corrected] school year:

I left work early today after an incident with a parent left me unable emotionally to continue for the day. I have already made the decision to leave teaching at the end of this year, and today, I don’t know if I will make it even that long. Parents have become far too disrespectful, and their children are even worse. Administration always seems to err on the side of keeping the parent happy, which leaves me with no way to do the job I was hired to do…teach kids.

I am including photos that I took in my classroom over the past two days. This is how my classroom regularly looks after my students spend all day there. Keep in mind that many of the items damaged or destroyed by my students are my personal possessions or I purchased myself, because I have NO classroom budget.

Julie Marburger classroom

Report cards come out later this week, and I have nearly half of my students failing due to multiple (8 to 10) missing assignments. Most of these students and their parents haven’t seemed to care about this over the past three months, though weekly reports go out, emails have been sent and phone calls have been attempted.

But now I’m probably going to spend my entire week next week fielding calls and emails from irate parents, wanting to know why I failed their kid. My administrator will demand an explanation of why I let so many fail without giving them support, even though I’ve done practically everything short of doing the work for them. And behavior in my class will deteriorate even more. …

Stop enabling failure

Comment, respond, what do you think… This is almost all I hear from other teachers as well, and they are leaving the profession in droves. There is going to be a teacher crisis in this country before too many more years has passed unless the abuse of teachers stops.

People absolutely HAVE to stop coddling and enabling their children. It’s a problem that’s going to spread through our society like wildfire. It’s not fair to society, and more importantly, is not fair to the children to teach them this is okay. It will not serve them towards a successful and happy life.

UPDATE: Thank you, everyone for your words of support! I’m feeling a little shell-shocked over the attention I have gotten, to say the least. This is something I had no way of anticipating and have taken a few days to come to terms with.

Second, we absolutely have to hold our children to a higher standard of accountability in all areas. Inflating their success doesn’t raise self-esteem. If it did, we wouldn’t have the highest teen suicide rates in history right now.

More here.

Blaska’s Bottom Line: Please tell me how Ms. Marburger’s experience is any different from that in the Madison WI public schools.

What do YOU think?

This entry was posted in Madison schools, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Teachers are abused by low expectations

”Inflating their success doesn’t raise self-esteem.”

Anyone that thinks that this will self-correct without a Marshall Plan type of concerted response, think again.

“The (left-leaning) Brookings Institution 2006 Brown Center Report On American Education found that NATIONS IN WHICH FAMILIES AND SCHOOLS EMPHASIZE SELF-ESTEEM CANNOT COMPETE WITH CULTURES, mostly throughout Asia, where NO ONE WORRIES MUCH ABOUT cute emojis or those ‘non-cognitive’ factors.” (bolds/caps mine)

And no discussion of the State Of The Education would be complete without the MUST READ from the indispensable Quillette.com:

Public Educations Dirty Secret

One difference is that MMSD spends far more than Ms. Marburger’s kids get.
    Also notice the degree of Left Wing communities that wrestle with this problem. Conservative communities? Not so much.

3. Ana says:

Violent children are being enabled by badly defined special ed laws
    Federal Special Education Laws, originally were meant to allow children, who need assistance in reading, math, study skills and social skills, to be given individual help in order to stay in school and be largely educated with their peers. These laws, which include phrases such as “least restrictive environment” and “behavior as a manifestation of a disability”, have morphed into a entitlement for angry parents of violent children to bully administrators and teachers. These parents, along with their lawyers and other advocates, use the “i will sue you” phrase to force public schools to allow a child with a severe emotional problem, a disability designation (such as autism, or oppositional-defiant disorder), to stay in school destroying property, and heaping verbal and physical abuse on others. If the child is able to improve, substantially, with psychological help and behavioral instruction, we can rejoice. If the behaviors do not improve, the child should be removed to a therapeutic setting. Laws, concerning disabilities, need to be redefined when destructive behavior is a part of the disability. Parents of self regulated children, and teachers subjected to an unsafe work environment, need to fight to redefine the special education laws concerning disabilities and behaviors. Or, perhaps, they need to be the ones who do the suing.

• George's Son says:

Ana, Thanks once again for real information presented in a brief yet dynamic way. Honesty eludes the educational system now –you make manifest the results.

• Gary L. Kriewald says:

“Disability,” real or imagined–mostly imagined–has become the default excuse for bad behavior. There’s no such thing as bad kids–don’t believe me? Ask their parents. There’s only kids whose “needs” aren’t being met.

4. George's Son says:

#OshkoshWestShooting 16 year old confronted the resource officer and stabbed him. The officer shot the student one time. The officer made an emergency call to dispatch. Other officers on scene 2 minutes after incident. Life saving measures given to both student and officer.

No worries ‘cuz in the meantime, “Menstrual products are now available in the state Capital, and other state buildings.” The irony here is to forewarn you. The battle over SRO’s in Madison by “Freedom Inc” and their motley abusive crew will not go away anytime soon.

That said, What a whiff of common sense Ms. Marburger provides & what courage she has. I repeat her concise and universally logical 3 declarations:

“First, the education system as we know it needs reform. It is broken and inadequate for our children.

@George’s Son;

“The battle over SRO’s in Madison by ‘Freedom Inc’ and their motley abusive crew will not go away anytime soon.”

And why should it?

It stands to reason (which reason knows nothing of) that had there been Counselors Not Cops handling the Waukesha & Oshkosh incidents, the results would have been…um…different, am I right?

• Gary L. Kriewald says:

Fourth, we need to reform Schools of Education (the one at UW-Madison is Exhibit A) that see a teacher’s primary role as indoctrinating kids to become junior social justice warriors.

5. Gordon Sussman says:

Am I correct that teachers in the Madison School District are members of MTI? Am I correct that school policy is shaped and enforced by the School Board? Am I correct that MTI has wholeheartedly supported the election of all members of the School Board? Am I correct in feeling that members of the teaching profession in this city have made their proverbial bed, and I wish them good night.

6. dad29 says:

@dad29;

“I think that she did NOT write that missive ‘shortly before the end of the ’19/’20 school year.”

Thought that myself; might she have meant the end of the 1st semester of this academic year, which is fast approaching?

Let’s say she wrote it shortly before the end of the 2018-19 school year, before even; whenever.

Pick yer base point and ask: You think things have gotten better, stayed the same, or gotten worse?

7. Tom Paine says:

Been trying to tell you and Vicki for several years that you don’t understand the fundamental cultural causes of our educational problems. Deaf ears, of course.

So, no point here to present a compelling counter, except to note that had EITHER of you actually taught for a few years in a high school, your analysis would change.

8. Eric Z says:

@Gordon Sussman- I would venture to say that not “All” the teachers belong to MTI and that not “All” support MTI idealogy. Wi is now a right to work state, not a closed shop. Maybe you missed that. With that being said. no, they don’t have to teach in madison.

9. Eric Z says:

“Third, we as a society have to get back to treating one another with manners and respect. We are only going downhill with hatred and name-calling. No one wins when kindness dies.”

Why should anyone act any different than the President of our country? Flame all ya want, it is a fair question.

10. Sprocket says:

Why is anyone surprised? The public education establishment has told us that one of their goals is the dismantling of our, oh so awful, society. So, let them burn. The sooner sending a child to public schools is viewed as a form of parental negligence, the better. People who care about their children’s future will send them to private schools and public schools can continue their mission to be the waiting room for state prison and the welfare office.

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )