UPDATE: Three 14-year-old boys have been arrested after stealing a car and leading multiple departments on a chase Thursday morning (07-11-19).
At 2:30 in the morning, a Fitchburg police officer saw a stolen car in the area of the Verona Road Frontage and Atticus Way. The officer tried to stop the car, but it drove away. Then, a Town of Madison officer spotted the vehicle and was able to successfully put out a tire deflation device, but the car kept going.
A Wisconsin State Trooper then saw the car on the Beltline, just as one of the front tires came off the rim. The car finally came to a stop on the highway near Park Street, but then all three teens got out and starting running.
Officers were able to catch the driver and one of the passengers after a chase, and the final passenger was tracked down by a Dane County Sheriff’s Office K9. All three of the 14-year-old boys were taken to Juvie. NBC TV-15 has the story.
Today’s blog is given over to the first seven incidents Madison Police Chief Mike Koval reports in his police blotter today (07-11-19) . Do subscribe to his daily report.
From 6:00 a.m. on 07/10/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 07/11/2019, MPD received 535 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown.
1) WEST: Stolen Autos – 7:16 a.m. Two vehicles were stolen from Sandhill Road overnight. One of the stolen vehicles was involved in a crash on the interstate where the driver/suspect (UM) fled. A female passenger/juvenile was conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation/treatment but she fled from the hospital when her mother arrived at the hospital. The second vehicle has not been located. Keys were with both vehicles. Investigation continuing.
2) NORTH: Information/Sexual Assault of a Child – 11:12 a.m. Officers met with a victim (16-year-old AAF) who reported being sexually assaulted by a known acquaintance/suspect (32-year-old AAM). Investigation continuing.
3) EAST: Weapons Offense – 12:26 p.m. Officers responded to reports of shots fired near Great Gray/Owl Creek. Shortly thereafter, a local hospital advised that a victim (19-year-old AAM) arrived at the hospital with multiple gunshot wounds. Preliminary investigations have determined that both of these calls are related. Incident report on MPD’s website completed. Investigation continuing.
4) WEST: Suspicious Person/Recovered Stolen Auto – 5:08 p.m. Officers responded to Woodington Way after it was reported that a vehicle was parked on their street and appeared to have been in a crash. The caller advised that two male subjects were near the vehicle and talking. When officers arrived, the male subjects (AAMs) took off running. The vehicle was found to be reported stolen. The suspects were not located. Investigation continuing.
5) EAST: Stolen Auto – 6:33 p.m. Officers responded to Droster Rd for a report of a stolen auto. The vehicle was stolen out of a garage. Attempt to locate aired. The vehicle was listed as stolen in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
6) MIDTOWN: Attempted Residential Burglary – 7:15 p.m. Officers responded to a Midtown district residence (Summit Ave) after the caller/homeowner reported that three suspects (AAMs) were in their garage attempting to steal their vehicle. The caller’s husband gave chase to the suspects who fled on foot. Investigation continuing. See # 7 – related call.
7) MIDTOWN: Assist Police – 7:15 p.m. UW-Police Department observed a stolen vehicle on University Avenue. The vehicle crashed and the suspects fled on foot. The suspects (16-year-old AAM and 15-year-old AAM) were apprehended. This incident occurred right around the time of the attempted residential burglary in call #6 above. The two calls may be related. Investigation continuing.