Hey kids! Want to get on the ground floor of a growth industry and retire young to some island with little umbrellas in your rum drink? Take up the White Guilt business for fame and fortune!
- Your Dane County government is throwing $139,000 at a Florida company to “evaluate racial equity in the county’s purchasing and contracting practices.” (By definition, they’re experts because they’re out of state.)
- The City of Madison is shoveling $350,000 grand at a California outfit to study Madison’s nationally praised police department for “diversity and inclusiveness.”
- A mutual insurance company chaired by a faceless Madison bureaucrat is dumping $3.35 million on the family of a convicted felon who, high on drugs, attacked a police officer called to stop the young man’s rampage. (Rate adjustment to follow.) The new Madison math: Black punk + white cop = civil rights violation.
- Four men get shot from at least three different firearms in a 3 a.m. melee involving some 70 people at a Madison gas station and the city’s civil rights leaders hold a press conference to — you guessed it! — Blame the Police for not providing enough services.
- Two civic-minded individuals, active in their neighborhood associations, run for city alderman and a former Democrat legislator plays the race card because the well entrenched incumbents are black.
If, to a hammer, everything is a nail, to a liberal everything is race. The Nigerians are amateurs when it comes to the race scammers. White guilt, “white privilege,” “implicit bias” — call it what you will — “Is the heart and soul of contemporary liberalism.” So writes American scholar Shelby Steele.
Shelby Steele on the Race Card
White guilt is not angst over injustices suffered by others; it is the terror of being stigmatized with America’s old bigotries — racism, sexism, homophobia and xenophobia. … The terror of this …pressures whites to act guiltily even when they feel no actual guilt. White guilt is a mock guilt, a pretense of real guilt, a shallow etiquette of empathy, pity and regret.
…. Bigotry exists, but it is far down on the list of problems that minorities now face. I grew up black in segregated America, where it was hard to find an open door. It’s harder now for young blacks to find a closed one.
… Today’s liberalism is an anachronism. It has no understanding, really, of what poverty is and how it has to be overcome. It has no grip whatever on what American exceptionalism is and what it means at home and especially abroad.
… American liberalism never acknowledged that it was about white esteem rather than minority accomplishment. Four thousand shootings in Chicago last year, and the mayor announces that his will be a sanctuary city. This is moral esteem over reality; the self-congratulation of idealism. Liberalism is exhausted because it has become a corruption. — Shelby Steele, “The exhaustion of American liberalism,” Wall Street Journal 03-6-17.