Assembly Speaker Robin Vos on the April 4 referendum to amend the constitution to
A constitutional amendment on bail reform bail reform allows courts to consider more relevant factors when setting bail for violent criminals. It strikes a balance between presuming innocence, public safety, and ensuring our judges have the appropriate tools to deal with repeat violent offenders.
The city of Milwaukee broke its homicide record for the third year in a row in 2022 and according to a 2021 news investigation, 1 out of every 5 homicide suspects was already out on bail or signature bond for another felony crime.
That means 20% of violent criminals in Milwaukee are reoffending! This amendment creates a two-tier system for bail between violent crimes and all other crimes. It does not eliminate a right to bail and does not interfere with the American principle of setting reasonable bail.
According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, 48 states allow courts to consider “dangerousness.”
Bail reform had bipartisan support in both the Assembly and the Senate. Both chambers in the Wisconsin State Legislature have approved this constitutional amendment for two consecutive legislative sessions, the amendment will now be proposed to the voters on the April ballot.
The local power struggle mirrors the divide over the national chairman
Ronna McDaniel has done the very best she could do under circumstances that are not favorable to the RNC and has managed to build up trust between the non-Trump and pro-Trump factions within the GOP in a way very few others could thread the needle and build the relationships.” …
The problem is not really Ronna and the RNC but at the state level. They point to the problems at the state GOP level in Arizona, Georgia, and Pennsylvania. One committeewoman, who is not a Trump fan at this point, told me, “Ronna can’t fix Kelli Ward, but Ronna is fantastic at mitigating those types.”
Madison mayoral forum
Candidates Satya Rhodes-Conway, Gloria Reyes, and Scott Kerr.
7:00 – 8:30 p.m. Monday, January 30
Sequoya Library Conference Room, 4340 Tokay Blvd
Join Zoom Meeting Link: https://cuwaa.zoom.us/j/91242996181
Meeting ID: 912 4299 6181
So Search Me!
Mouldering in the basement
While you were out
- The answer: ‘We don’t know’ January 27, 2023
- Nothing to see here, folks January 26, 2023
- The high court candidate has ruled! January 26, 2023
- End the Republican bloodbath! #3 January 25, 2023
- Stop the Republican bloodbath before it begins! #2 January 24, 2023
- Let the Republican bloodbath begin! #1 January 23, 2023
- Blaska can’t swim, anyway January 21, 2023
- Dane County Board continues to spin wheels on jail January 19, 2023
Got a tip?
Get Blog e-mailed!
Join 923 other subscribers
- U.S. Sen. Johnson, colleagues: Lead school choice effort, reintroduce the Scholarships for Opportunity and Results Act
- UW-Green Bay: Wisconsin’s largest Global Game Jam hosted by UW-Green Bay in partnership with the Urban Hub
- Madison Mayor Rhodes-Conway: Statement on death of Tyre Nichols
- Rep. Moore Omokunde: Elected vice chair of the Milwaukee Delegation
- U.S. Sen. Johnson: Joins Sen. Daines, colleagues in ntroducing legislation elevating parent voices in education spending
Law … and OrderMy Tweets