A new sheriff in town?
Anthony Hamilton, a detective with the Dane County Sheriff’s office is running for sheriff as a Republican against incumbent Kalvin Barrett. Any eligible voter in Dane County can sign his nomination paper. Detective Hamilton needs 500 valid signatures by Wednesday, June 1. Public safety is a top priority for voters this years as crime has skyrocketed. Hamilton Nomination Paper.
Assembly Speaker Robin Vos open to arming teachers in schools.
The massacre at Robb elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, 05-24-22 has produced the usual demands to “do something.” We share the impulse and the anger, but what specifically to do? …
So-called red-flag laws that give police the ability to deny guns to people who may pose a risk to the community have been useful in some cases. But they are hard to enforce, as we recently learned in Buffalo. New York state has a red-flag statute, and Payton Gendron was even referred for mental counseling. He still got a gun. — Wall Street Journal.
The statement that the Second Amendment is not absolute is certainly true. There are laws that can be crafted within the confines set out under controlling Supreme Court precedent. … President Biden repeated his claim that certain weapons were prohibited at the time that the Second Amendment was ratified. That is simply untrue. — law professor Jonathan Turley.
Donald Trump’s political revenge campaign hit a wall in Georgia on Tuesday, as Gov. Brian Kemp and Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger easily defeated Trump-backed challengers. The question now is whether the former President will continue his vendetta by trying to defeat both men in November. — Wall Street Journal.
From the Dane County Sheriff:
Madison WI. 05-25-22 – There are no words to describe the devastating news of yesterday’s school shooting in Uvalde, Texas.
As a precaution, the Dane County Sheriff’s Office will be increasing our presence around all of the schools in our primary jurisdictions.
Sadly, these events serve as a reminder for us all to be aware of our environment. The Dane County Sheriff’s Office continues to offer Emergency Preparedness Training for the community.
On a more personal note, hold your children extra tight today.
It takes courage
People of Ukraine
Finland and Sweden
President Andrzej Duda of Poland
Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp
Poland and the Czechs
Speaker Robin Vos
FdL Co. GOP chair Rohn Bishop
Who we missing?
Help Max Blaska and Karla S. Bryant adapt Stephen King’s “Last Rung On the Ladder” into a video feature. Crowd fund it here and pick the perk and the amount you wish to donate from the column on the right.
Got a tip?
Get Blog e-mailed!
So Search Me!
Mouldering in the basement
While you were out
- Hey teacher, quit experimenting with our kids May 26, 2022
- Sure, ‘Something must be done!’ But what? May 25, 2022
- Are Madison schools deceiving parents? May 24, 2022
- WI Republicans move on from Trump May 23, 2022
- Progressives demand return of ballot drop boxes May 22, 2022
- Will cell phones be banned at Madison schools? May 22, 2022
- ‘No endorsement’ hurts Kleefisch May 21, 2022
- Politics is done in hotel hospitality rooms May 21, 2022
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- THU PM Update: Vos leaning toward someone with legal background to replace Knudson; Johnson says he didn’t pressure commissioner to resign
- Milwaukee County Board of Supervisors Chairwoman Nicholson: Chairwoman Nicholson proposal to reestablish youth commission unanimously adopted
- WisDems: Biden and Evers continue to deliver for Wisconsin with Democrats’ rescue plan
- Evers campaign: ICYMI: Evers takes action to stop infant formula price gouging
- Nelson campaign: Grassroots energy propels Tom Nelson to be first Wis. Senate candidate approved for the August primary ballot
- U.S. Sen. Johnson: Leads effort to repeal disastrous Biden administration asylum policy
Favorite on-line reads