The moral case for reopening schools—without masks | City Journal

Take those masks off and open the schools!

According to the epidemiologist Sunetra Gupta, you should do just about the opposite of what’s being preached by college presidents, teachers’ unions, political leaders, and the scientific and media establishment.

Unless you’re elderly or particularly vulnerable, you shouldn’t be wearing a mask all day, or shaming others for going unmasked. You should be careful not to endanger the vulnerable, but otherwise you should be exposing yourself to the virus in order to promote herd immunity.

Gupta, 55, wants to teach her classes at Oxford [England] in person, without a mask, and she is appalled at her colleagues’ reluctance to go back to the classroom. …

Martin Kulldorff, a Harvard epidemiologist and one of Gupta’s few allies, noted that not a single child in Sweden has died from Covid, and that Swedish teachers did not suffer unusually high rates of infection, even though the country never closed schools for those under 16 and didn’t force students to wear masks.

For American children under 14, the risk of dying from Covid is lower than the risk of dying from the flu or pneumonia, according to the calculations of Avik Roy, president of the Foundation for Research on Equal Opportunity. For teenagers and young adults, it’s much lower than the risk of being murdered.

Source: The Moral Case for Reopening Schools—Without Masks | City Journal

66 Responses to The moral case for reopening schools—without masks | City Journal

1. nathanemarks says:

NO. Just, no!

These kids may not die after getting the virus. But many people who contract Covid have months-long (or even longer?) battles with long term symptoms….weakness, fatigue, etc.

Also, what of the kids’ grandparents, parents, parents’ co-workers, etc? Those kids don’t live in vacuum.

This post represents an irresponsible position, and it is indefensible.

“This post represents an irresponsible position, and it is indefensible.”

Do tell!

Perhaps you ought take your informed slobbering up with epidemiologist Sunetra Gupta?

• Liberty says:

Exactly, Gotch.

Blaska is merely offering a differing POV. We’re adults, we can handle it, thank you.

In a supposedly free country, Big Tech has suppressed the free speech of even doctors & epidemiologists who dare to dissent. I for one, appreciate differing viewpoints so I can make up my own mind.

Don’t worry, I’ll still wear my mask in public places.

• madisonexpat says:

I don’t wear a mask and never did unless in the company of the quite old or quite frail. When our city council voted to make it mandatory I called my council member and said you will do more harm than good. If fined I would not pay and since they emptied the jails what are they gonna do? Every store owner and merchant must decide whether to force a customer into wearing one or to turn them away. People remember.
          If anyone has been prosecuted successfully for resisting this mandate I’ve not heard of it outside the hive-minded Lefty enclaves.
          Governors must answer for their mandates and the resultant harm. “I was advised by a scientist. Or better safe than sorry” won’t cut it. The costs of their officiousness will be easily measured by each constituent.
          I have a Republican governor but I’ll never vote for him if I have to write in a vote for any other fool.

• Liberty says:

I wonder if the people who wear masks while riding their bikes or walking on empty streets realize how silly they look.

• nathanemarks says:

Wow — you went right to personal insults? I don’t care if 50% of the posts on this site have your name on them. It doesn’t make your opinion correct.

• Liberty says:

Who insulted you?

You came on here with “No, just no” and we offered our thoughts. Disagreement is not the same thing as personal insults.

Sorry, but the people who walk around masked alone OUTSIDE on empty or near empty streets look ridiculous in my eyes. That is a GENERAL opinion (not directed at you) and my right to express it, whether you agree with it or not.

• nathanemarks says:

Liberty — I’m with you. I stick to what the science says. Wearing your mask while biking or in you car? Seriously?
          However, Gotch (and the ‘epidemiologist’ above) seem to have a problem understanding basic causality. It reminds me of the Preachers who have made the news lately…denouncing masks, only to fall to the disease a short time later.

• Liberty says:

Nathan,

WHOSE science are we adhering to? Science is imperfect and inconclusive. My issue is that epidemiologists and other docs (not quacks) are being silenced by social media and news media. So the only science we have to go by is that which is aligned with the status quo.

“Wow — you went right to personal insults?”

Au contraire, I attacked your “slobbering;” there’s a difference?

“I don’t care if 50% of the posts on this site have your name on them.”

Check your math.

“It doesn’t make your opinion correct.”

On this we agree; something upon which to build…?

You better just follow what the world famous Dr. Donald J. Trump has told all his followers to do. What is the exact proportion of bleach to UV light again?

• One of THOSE says:

Yeah, those Swedes are a pretty irresponsible lot.

In Sveden’s defense, Mega-Babes issue therefrom, am I right?

FUN FACT: The Gotch’s Maternal Great Grandmother Ida C*******a G****sson won Sveden’s National Award for the best Butter in the Country not just once, but TWICE.

Heck, the Svedish GubMint made it known, in no uncertain terms, they didn’t want her emigrate…LEGALLY…to the U. S. of A.

Anywho, Lefty could care less. Why would they; their delicacy is coffee beans that…um…travel through a feline’s colon.

• Kooter says:

Wake up Nate. The fact is the mortality rate of Covid not that far off from the flu and certainly dont justify the economic and social costs associated with lockdowns and silly mask mandates.

• nathanemarks says:

Ok Kooter…let’s put a price on each human life lost. You go first. We can stop taking precautions when we get to your break-even point.

• Liberty says:

Nathan,

The science is still out on whether masks (the kind the average person typically wears) are completely effective. Additionally, people are wearing them incorrectly or wearing the wrong kind (see-through material or nose exposed).

To attempt to put these deaths at our feet or label us as uncaring because we voice dissent or question the effectiveness of masks, is low.

Let me ask you, do you wash your hands frequently and thoroughly in public? Generally practice good hygiene? Take care of yourself and your immune system? Because these are ALSO PRACTICES scientists ask us to do. Yet I can’t tell you how many times I see people ignoring these guidelines.

Yet they want to preach to the rest of us? Don’t worry, I wear my mask in public. But people who look our way need to consider their own hygiene and self care.

• Fred says:

OK, I’ll start. My brother-in-law’s mom had a mammogram scheduled for March, then postponed by the clinic until June due to COVID. She discovered a lump a week before the rescheduled mammogram, but three months after when she should have had it discovered. This was in a county that had one COVID case in March, didn’t have a hospitalization until May 11 and to-date has had one death, total. Nationally, preventative care was down 80-90% in April and still down 20-30%. So what you’re saying is that your theoretical COVID patient is more important than actual people. And that theoretical COVID patient likely has significant underlying health issues.

Let’s look at a little data from Dane County and surrounding areas, provided by WI DHS.
          For Dane County through yesterday: 8947 positive tests (4.5% positive test rate), 41 deaths (0.46% mortality rate), 353 hospitalizations (3.9% rate). This data is a little misleading, as things were much worse early on. The first spike started occurring around June 21, about three weeks before the mask mandate. Since 6/21 in Dane County: 7,849 positive tests (5.4% positive test rate), 9 deaths (0.23% mortality rate, and this is based on only 3,990 positives, which excludes the most recent 30 days of positives), 163 hospitalizations (2.1% rate). All numbers have steadily trended down since 6/21.

DHS provides hospital capacities for a 12 county area including Dane County, which has seen 14,988 new cases since 6/21. On 6/21, there were 36 people hospitalized for COVID. As of yesterday, there were 44 people hospitalized. Hospital occupancy percentage has ranged between 72-80% (they normally run close to 100%) and ventilator usage ranged between 13-24%.

Public Health Madison Dane Co reports 1 death under age 40, 3 deaths under age 60 and 9 deaths under age 70.

So young people are the cause of the surge, yet overall negative outcomes are trending down significantly. One thing that’s trending up, college student anxiety and depression. 30% in one study, the majority of which are ” low-income, individuals of color, part of the LGBTQ+ community.”

If you want to argue that masks are the reason for the positive trends (except for those kids not wearing masks), then fine. Let’s all wear masks and start to open up businesses. If you’re at risk, stay away. But this idea that one more life lost to COVID is worse than all other non-COVID deteriorating health outcomes and the complete destruction of small (and some large) employers is, frankly, ridiculous.

Liberty-

When you claimed that I was “low” — you deliberately twisted my words. You also said “The science is still out on whether masks (the kind the average person typically wears) are completely effective. ”

There is no debate about whether wearing masks helps. There is absolutely no argument anywhere, that wearing masks helps slow down transmission. To your point, nothing is completely effective. But when something is highly effective and dirt cheap, how do you argue against that? How dare you insult others for arguing for it. This is basic, common-sense stuff here.

Yes, I do all those things that entail good hygeine (sanitizer in all my cars, office, etc.) — and wish that others did to. This stuff is hard to legislate though. Masks? Quite a bit easier to legislate.

• nathanemarks says:

Also — please do tell: what is wearing a silly mask costing us?

• madisonexpat says:

Liberty. I fear the reaction to the next flu over this one. Also if Covid is one tenth as contagious as we’re told, we’ve all been exposed at some point and yet here we are.

• Liberty says:

Please answer my questions above and I will answer yours.

• Liberty says:

My question was directed at Nathan.

• Liberty says:

Madisonexpat,

There are a lot of things we haven’t been told about this disease, a lot of questions that haven’t been answered. And we’re told to accept the status quo as if it’s Gospel.

• nathanemarks says:

madisonexpat — it’s costing us Liberty. Oh really?

Do you also complain about having to wear pants when you walk out your door each day?

We, as a society have deemed that we are all better off for covering our reproductive bits. While Covid is spreading, there is an analogous argument for masks — everyone is better off when we all wear them.

No one is taking away your liberty. If you want to take off your pants/mask in private, please feel free. On the flipside, none of us want to see your junk, or catch your virus.

“there is an analogous argument for masks — everyone is better off when we all wear them.”

You don’t say?

Per the CDC:

Cloth Masks Will Not Protect You From Wildfire Smoke.

“Cloth masks that are used to slow the spread of COVID-19 by blocking respiratory droplets offer little protection against wildfire smoke. They do not catch small, harmful particles in smoke that can harm your health.” (bolds mine)

Funniest thing: the small, harmful WuJan Virus particles are FOUR_(4)_TIMES_SMALLER than the small, harmful smoke particles your mask won’t keep out.

Glass half full?

Wearing them there masks make a Lefty’s I’m Dialed In endorphins ramp something serious, so there’s that…….

• nathanemarks says:

The model you are using above is flawed. The CDC says there were 35k flu deaths in the 2018/19 season (12 mos). That was with no lockdown. There have now been 200k US Covid deaths (in 7 mos) WITH a crushing government lockdown.

Here’s the basic math:
        Flu – no lockdown: 3k per month
        Covid – with lockdown: 28k per month

If you want to compare Covid:Flue — let’s try that? Where do you think that death total would be without government lockdowns — Double? Triple? 10x?

Would you hold that same viewpoint if 500k people had perished? 1 milion? Where does Kooter draw the line?

2. Sir Wood the Good says:

According to a new study on New York schools, infection of teachers and staff were LESS in classrooms teaching in person than virtual classrooms!!!

3. RAVENOAKS says:

Gotch, Kooter, and Liberty-Just found out that a close friend was diagnosed with COVID!!! No kidding and his wife and family are in shock. He is very sick and coughing a lot but can travel to the Village bar on Speedway. He wants to meet all of you and share a few beers. No silly mask mandates. Please reply to this blog. Will you attend without your masks? Can you bring some of your friends? Show your macho!! Shove those damn CDC recommendations where they belong!!! Don’t let those damn lily lipped lefties influence your decision. Show your fellow Baska cheerleaders that no damn virus is going to control your personal freedoms. We will meet you at the Village bar in the parking lot at 1:00 PM this Saturday, Sept. 26. RSVP on this blog. No Mask, No balls. Local fake press has agreed to cover the event.

• Liberty says:

You’re typically so facetious and cunning on this blog that it’s hard to determine if you’re telling the truth about your friend. Just in case you are serious, my thoughts and prayers.

To attempt to put that diagnosis at our feet or label us as uncaring because we voice dissent or question the effectiveness of masks, though is reprehensible.

You mention catching the virus at a bar (I don’t go to bars). Could your friend have caught it directly or indirectly from someone who was attending a riot or anti-cop demonstration, or other public place?

I wear my mask in public, but let me ask, do you wash your hands frequently and thoroughly in public? Generally practice good hygiene? Take care of yourself and your immune system? Because these are ALSO PRACTICES scientists ask us to do. Yet I can’t tell you how many times I see people ignoring these guidelines.

I also advise that you check your reading comprehension skills. I didn’t say I’m against wearing masks in public. That is YOUR incorrect assumption. What I do advocate is for the examination of different ideas (including from epidemiologists banned from social media) even if they don’t align with the status quo. This premise isn’t a leftist strong suit.

RO, that thought of LUVing The Gotch has passed…?

FWIW, he complies with the mask mandate in public AND< a good friend informed him yesterday that he's caught the WuJan Virus and is basement bound, not unlike DementiaJoe.

One more thing.

WuJan Virus sufferers are supposed to self-isolate, which renders your entire scenario rather imbecilic.

And you want to be my Latex Salesman…?

• Liberty says:

Exactly.

And Leftists consider themselves smarter than conservatives.

“WuJan Virus sufferers are supposed to self-isolate, which renders your entire scenario rather imbecilic”

4. RAVENOAKS says:

And Miss Vicki is going to broadcast from the parking lot!!!

5. Kooter says:

Nate and RavingOaks: I spend most of my time in the hinterlands of Dane County– hardly anyone wears masks. If someone is ill they take the appropriate measures– quarantine themselves and get tested. I agree with Liberty: most people don’t use masks properly and it actually becomes an infectious source. I do wear mine properly and I do wear it in businesses out of respect for other patrons and the workers. Talk to any ER doc (I golf with two) and they will tell you that infectious rates are underreported (because a lot of people don’t even know they’re infected) and mortality rates are over reported (due to financial incentives to the hospitals). Life is full of risks and if you want to live your life in a rubber room with a mask on, go for it but don’t mandate everyone else do it as well. Typical Lefty thinking: “I’m a vegetarian so lets outlaw meat”!

• nathanemarks says:

Typical Righty Thinking: “I can do what I want! I thought this was Muricah!!”

…it’s much closer to the truth to say: “your right to swing your arm leaves off where my right not to have my nose struck begins.”

And for what little it’s worth: Don’t lump me in with those idiot liberals. I loathe the Left as much as I despise the right.

6. Almostarepublican says:

I would have liked to see more schools open. Catholic schools sued and were able to open. We’ll see how that goes. Everyone that I’ve talked to says that virtual learning is not going well, especially for younger students. Face to face learning is critical.

7. nathanemarks says:

I feel like one of the most obvious arguments for some kind of legislated lockdown is getting lost in all the noise here: there have now been 200k US deaths WITH crushing government mandates.
    Where do you think that death total would be without government interference — anyone want to take a guess? Double? Triple? 10x?
    By locking down, we can forestall additional unnecessary deaths, allow a vaccine to be developed, and reduce the otherwise inevitable death and suffering of our family and friends.

8. richard lesiak says:

On a lighter note Ron Johnson came out of isolation and declared that there is no evidence of wrong doing by Hunter Biden. Get ready ROJO Dopey Don will be after your butt now. BAH HA HA. Plus Ron just blew up half of Hannity’s show. I bet Laura Ingrown will blow the botox out of her lips over this. BAH HA HA

More and more Wuhan is looking more like The Election Infection.
    “What if someone dies because all of us were not forced, insulted or accused into wearing masks?”
    “How much is a life worth?” we are asked. Apparently its worth is a wrecked economy for most of a year, for many small businesses to go belly up and send their employees home. It must be worth keeping all kids at home but hey! government is trying to make all the parents stay home too so they’re saving a lot of money by not needing daycare.
    Every public employee is being paid. But the rest of us can count our blessing….. we didn’t catch the Covid virus, unless we did but don’t know it. Sure the downside is our business has failed and we may lose our house but unlike the 200,000 dead the 323,998,000 who remain can start picking up the pieces.
    Until the next one.

• nathanemarks says:

Your post contains a lot of emotion and hyperbole. But there isn’t much meat to it.

“The Election Infection” — how does that make sense?
      Any leader that enforces a lockdown automatically pisses-off the electorate and is dooming themselves to fewer votes. Trump is absolutely brilliant for “allowing” governors to do his job for him. He can deflect the blame *and* take all the credit if things go well.

“How much is a life worth?” — a better question to ask, is how many would be dead if we hadn’t locked down. Are you willing to doom 500k or a million people to death, so that you can benefit personally/economically? A true patriot would say No.

These are hard times. This disease affects every one of us in some way. Those who are not suffering should shoulder a bigger slice of the burden. We should all make small sacrifices to help our neighbors. No viable business should have to shutter because of it….yet because of our weak leaders, that’s what is happening.

There are better strategies to cope with Covid than what’s been discussed on this thread today. Pray our leaders and countryment will learn these lessons for the next one.

NotOnTheMark: Your passive aggression is almost comical. I’m taking a swing at you if I don’t wear a mask? Americans have too much liberty and should be mocked for it? Trump ducks his responsibility because he won’t be a dictator?
    Stop channeling your inner totalitarian and damn sure keep it away from me.

• nathanemarks says:

…so what you are saying is that you don’t have a rational response, and you’re choosing to go with argumentum ad absurdum?

0/10 — not convincing.

• madisonexpat says:

You keep telling yourself that you know, better than I, what’s good for me and, apparently everyone else. And I believe the phrase is reductio ad absurdum.

• nathanemarks says:

No — you’ve missed the point once again. Was that deliberate, to give you an opportunity to say something pithy?

You seem perfectly willing to allow others to die — so that you can go about your life without being inconvenienced. That is worse than sad. It’s worse than selfish. It’s by definition, sociopathic behavior.

My point is this: You do not have the right to decide who gets to live/die. By not maksing up, by not locking down — you are deliberately choosing to kill people. Newsflash: your “FREEDOM!” does not supersede the right your neighbors have to live.

11. Balboa says:

Amen David!

Prost!

Did you see Govenor Evers, has written and executive order closing all establishments that server fried food and meat. Included in eo bans grocery stores from selling prepacked items or meat. His reasoning is to reduce otherwise inevitable deaths and suffering in our family and friends.

• nathanemarks says:

Your bad diet doesn’t affect others around you. On the other hand…..coughing-out virus is a different story. While humorous, your comment doesn’t prove much.

12. Balboa says:

He just sign another EO, that all Wisconsinites much walk atleast 2 hours a day and stand for at least 6 hours a day because “the science” reports “Sitting is worse for you than Smoking”

Failure to follow these new EO’s will result in otherwise inevitable deaths and suffering in our family and friends.

Because we will be moving more and thus producing more CO2, we will have to wear CO2 recapturing suits so it may be sequestered in the proper manner.

The costs associated with these forced lifestyle changes will be beared by the individual taxpayer fully but can be rationalized because it is for the “greater good”

Take heed Comrades, only through these good deeds will future generations be able to live fruitful lives working at the Soylent Green factories

13. Kooter says:

CDC website says around 10,000 covid deaths; 200,000 deaths “associated” with covid– Meaning they died of something else but also tested positive for covid. Hardly the terror predicted and once again, not justifying the costs of the lockdowns.

14. Kooter says:

BTW: got my flu shot today, I encourage to do the same!

15. Balboa says:

So if 63 million people caught h1n1 flu and were tested after having symptons.
    So far only 6.93 million have tested positive for covid 19 with many millions more people tested negative because of possible exposure. We are testing more indescriminately for this disease where as we did not for h1n1. The 200000 is a large number but they are finally reporting those that were already unhealthy and those numbers are staggering where as people that are healthy it is rare occurrence of hospitalization and even death. It can be deadly to high risk groups but for healthy people is it way less deadly than the flu. Zero deaths for ages 0 to 18 in wisconsin. If you want to live to die be my guest but i want to die living practicing good hygiene. Vaccines are a golden ticket but sars virusses do mutate pretty easily but waiting to open things only at that time will lead absolute disaster for all citizens

16. Fred says:

Hey nathanemarks, I see a lot of your replies criticizing posts that are full of “a lot of emotion and hyperbole”, but I see you haven’t commented on my reply to your post above that was full of data. Here’s a little more, since you keep bringing up the national 200,000 death count. As with our county, the summer spike started around mid-June so let’s stay with 6/21 being the interim measuring spot. My data source reports 192,741 deaths as of 9/22 so for consistency, I’ll use that number.

Nationally as of 6/21: there were 2,270,347 positive cases and 113,452 deaths. Since then, there have been 4,588,580 more positives and 78,991 more deaths. So, positive cases have doubled, deaths have dropped by 30%. On 6/21, 28,219 people were hospitalized for COVID, on 9/22, 29,448 people were hospitalized. Total hospitalizations on 6/21 were 232,369 on 2.27MM positives. After 4.6MM more positive cases, 165,380 more people have been hospitalized. Despite blaring headlines about how poorly the US is handling this, clear that every metric except total cases and total deaths is headed strongly in the right direction.

The initial goal was to flatten the curve to save our health care system from being overwhelmed. No one can argue that has not been achieved. Then it was to crush the curve; also seems to be achieved. Then, not one more death can occur from COVID, an impossible metric that allows anyone that only focuses on that number to shout down everyone else. Absent a widely adopted vaccine, getting to no new positives is also impossible.

No one is (or should be) arguing that COVID isn’t more communicable and deadly than the flu. No one wants to lose someone they know or love to COVID. But, tell me what will be different in six months? Does anyone think a vaccine will be out and widely accepted before the end of 1Q21? In the meantime, how many people are we going to lose to suicide, how many more people will become addicted to drugs or alcohol, how many people will die of something due to skipping/delaying preventative care, how many people will lose their jobs/businesses/homes, how much more destruction will occur in the economy?

Given all of the metrics that are headed in a positive direction, shouldn’t we at least be having the discussion of what is the collateral damage of keeping everything locked down so tight? Especially since many will opt out themselves anyways. There’s obviously judgment to it but all that’s happening right now is anyone that even mentions getting back to work and loosening things up gets cudgeled over the head with 200,000 deaths and we can’t have one more death due to COVID.

Mighty fine collection of figures there, Fred!

Something else to ponder; how many deaths have been incorrectly attributed to the WuJan Virus?

• nathanemarks says:

Hi Fred — you make excellent and thoughtful points throughout your post. Yes, we should always talk with open and clear minds about alternatives.

I don’t think anyone is worried about “one more death due to covid”. I mean, every life is sacred, but no one would argue that the costs of preventing 1 death could balance out the consequences of hundreds of millions of people suffering in quarantine.

The point I keep trying to make is that *with* horrible/punative/crushing government interference, the death toll here due to Covid has still averaged 28k per month. Therefore any conversation about lifting restrictions, must acknowledge that the mortality rate will go higher than what we are currently seeing. Likely, it will go much higher.

UW Madison demonstrated the problem very clearly for us in September. School opened, and within two weeks, 6% of the undergrads were sick. Lucky for them, the kids don’t seem as vulnerable as others are.

It’s painful that I am only capable of being a critic. (I don’t hold a high opinion of people that just b!tch all the time.) I wish I had actionable ideas. But I will conclude by saying that I am not OK with tens-of-thousands of preventable deaths happening each month. Anyone who is OK with that much preventable death does not deserve to sit with the adults.

Neuman! You don’t measure a virus by a monthly average. Look at mortality rates and remember the curve that was to be flattened?