UW-Madison student newspaper rejects op-ed opposing defunding police

The Badger-Herald, an independent student newspaper at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, rejected a conservative columnist’s op-ed arguing against defunding the police, claiming “it is too much of a hot take right now” and that it “would cause a lot of backlash.”

Editors at the Badger-Herald denied Tripp Grebe’s op-ed on the basis of its content, noting that the Editorial Board recently had published a piece endorsing BLM and endorsing candidates who want to defund the police.

“While your article was well-written, it is too much of a hot take right now.”

Source: UW-Madison Student Newspaper Rejects Op-Ed Opposing Defunding the Police, Fires Conservative Whistleblower | Young America’s Foundation

34 Responses to UW-Madison student newspaper rejects op-ed opposing defunding police

1. The people at the Badger-Herald that rejected the op-ed are a bunch of cowards that don’t have a damn clue what real journalism is. These people should be fired immediately.

2. Fritzderkat says:

Carrying on in the finest tradition of the Daily Cardinal.

WTF happened to the Herald; isn’t it supposed to be the just-to-the-right of the LaLaLoopyLoonyLeftyLand University Rag?

To echo Steve, they’re too pathetically gutless to “Let The People Have The Truth And The Freedom To Discuss It, And All Will Go Well.

‘Course, that’s supposed to be the Crap Times Mission Statement, and they’re Hell-n-Gone from it as well.

Let’s hope Campus Reform picks this up and rams it up the Badger-Herald’s Yazoo City, sans lubrication!

• Good Dog,Happy Man says:

Gotch,

How far has Ms. Media evolved from, “Let The People Have The Truth And The Freedom To Discuss It, And All Will Go Well.” It was said by a Madison icon, a well-respected man, a Republican, Founder of the Capital Times, the WIBA radio station and also, ….The Progressive Party, … William T. Evjue.

My gunny sacks, they don’t make many men of his caliber anymore.

GDHM

4. Bob Dorn says:

Well, it’s amazing they get to publish anything, now that students are being recommended sent home by Dane Co Joe. What a miserable life – can’t go out, can’t party, can’t “let’s get together”. And you have to wear masks outside even though the spread is happening inside. Glad Becky isn’t Governor – oh wait – Evers is her long-lost ideological twin.

5. georgessson says:

Weasel-worded and obviously so. Madison’s policing efforts are run over roughshod daily. While activists claim “no one wants to talk about ‘systemic racism'” they’re very firm about what THEY DO NOT want to talk about.

6. Michael says:

Can you publish the column? I think the readers may be interested in seeing what is deemed to be controversial on campus these days.

7. sentient7 says:

Exactly, too hot………….bout like the time they said black people should be allowed to play in the Major Leagues! Think of how people might talk. Can’t have any of that……………nor should there have been a discussion about the US crusade in Vietnam. Why are they pushing the great Hegelian Wheel of History, backward?
    Sorry, I forgot. Wuss privilege of the post-Boomer Generations. All of them.

8. Liberty says:

It takes a heck of a lot of guts to do what he did. Why bother being journalists or even going to college if you’re not free to express your ideas?

This story should be submitted to Campus Reform’s database.

• Gary Kriewald says:

Alas, nowadays college–especially one like UW-Madison–is the LAST place one would go to “express your ideas” if those reflect anything but left-wing orthodoxy.

9. Amos Roe says:

“‘it is too much of a hot take right now and upper management is worried about alienating incoming freshman students from the Herald,’ Opinions Editor Samiha Bhushan said in an email.”

In other words, “we don’t want our building destroyed and set on fire, and our staff threatened/injured/murdered.”

Welcome to Madison. And if you grew up being indoctrinated by MMSD to embrace hate, intolerance and violence, you should already know the ropes anyway. Your tax dollars at work.

10. Bill says:

The Badger Herald: You must think like us! You must think like us! You must think like us! You must think like us! Repeat, Repeat, Repeat, Repeat. We are the Borg, we are the Hive, Assimilate or Die!

11. Kevin S Wymore says:

A truly sad day for local journalism. At one time, it was considered prestigious to become a student at the UW-Madison. The Badger Herald’s editors should publish this “well-written” article, or hang their heads in shame.

Ideas matter.

12. Alfred E. Newman says:

Who’d of thunk, conservatives not supporting a private entities right to determine what it chooses to do. Remember an editorial is not based on fact only on one persons emotional take.

• Alfred E. Newman wrote, “Who’d of thunk, conservatives not supporting a private entities right to determine what it chooses to do.”

Who’d-a-thunk that some partisan knucklehead would look at this in that way instead of looking at the blatant double standard elephant that’s on fire in the center of the room; pitiful, pitiful partisan BS.

Alfred E. Newman wrote, “Remember an editorial is not based on fact only on one persons emotional take.”

BALDERDASH!!!

Editorials are once persons opinion about whatever the writer chooses it to be based on, fact, theory, etc. To make a blanket statement that “an editorial is not based on fact” is absolute garbage.

Alfred E. Newman, are you just trolling to get a reaction?

BALDERDASH INDEED; I’ve read some of your stuff stevie and I agree with Al.

• Hey everyone Richard says he agrees with Alfred E. Newman, personally I think Alfred should take that as a below the belt insult.

“personally I think Alfred should take that as a below the belt insult.”

Heh…Absolutely!!!!!!!

More to the point, in the immortal words of patrickmoloughlin:

>b>He is no longer even worthy of a STFU. I feel bad even talking about him.

• richard lesiak wrote, “I make the choices as to who can and cannot comment.” “I make the choices of what I choose to accept as comments.” Taken from comment rules; “Society’s Building Blocks.” Same rules used by the student newspaper?”

False equivalence is a logical fallacy in which an equivalence is drawn between two subjects based on flawed or false reasoning.

You exceed in your ability to portray yourself as a fully consumed political hack. No knucklehead, my blog is NOT the equivalent to a newspaper.

The Badger Herald is the nation’s largest fully independent student newspaper located in Madison, Wisconsin. The Herald publishes weekly print editions and provides 24-hour online coverage.

Mission
          The Herald strives to present objective news, entertaining sports and arts coverage and insightful editorial stances that reflect the interests and tastes of the University of Wisconsin community. In the process, we also hope to train the next generation of student journalists for success.

The Badger Herald About Us Page

The Badger Herald is literally bastardizing their own mission statement and choosing to teach and be social justice advocates instead journalists.

The Gotch just KNEW< your response would be good, just not THIS good!

To reiterate:

He is no longer even worthy of a STFU. I feel bad even talking about him.

• Paula Dent says:

Richard: Stevie has called you a hack and a knucklehead, I see. In a previous post, he called me a liar. Several times. In one paragraph.

• Paula Dent wrote, “In a previous post, he called me a liar. Several times. In one paragraph.”

Actually Paula, that was in two paragraphs and I stated the reasoning behind the use of the word “liar” and you haven’t presented any logical argument to refute the use of the word. Regardless of whether or not you like the use of the word in the context which I used it, it was a fully appropriate use of the word.

If you can’t take the heat when it’s appropriately directed at you then get out of the kitchen or, figuratively speaking, “man up”.

Paula Dent wrote in a comment on September 3, 2020 at 9:35 pm, “I read the news and give my opinions with statements that are not unfounded.”

Not unfounded? Really Paula? I rhetorically destroyed absolutely every part of your terribly biased and stunningly ignorant “not unfounded” comment and you never once tried to refute anything I wrote.

“Not unfounded”; BALDERDASH!!!

Paula Dent wrote, “A word to the wise: be careful about smearing people on public forums. No ad hominem attacks.”

Climb down off your pompous perch before you fall and hurt yourself.

• patrickmoloughlin says:

It’s not about their right to do what they want, it’s about their obligation as journalists to do what’s right. But instead they are determined to show that their collective hearts and balls will not fill a thimble.

13. Gary Kriewald says:

Sounds like the editors at the Badger Herald need to take a little hike up to Bascom Hall and read the plaque that contains the phrase “sifting and winnowing.” Not much of either going on at the BH it seems. But then it’s only a matter of time before the BLM thugs demand (and get) the removal of that plaque (and the nearby statue).

14. pANTIFArts says:

Totally off topic: I just opened up an old flip-phone that I haven’t carried in months, and it was FILLED with texts from 30+ people asking me to “make calls” for the Democratic Party. I tried to respond to many of them -e.g., “I’ll be rioting for Biden with my friends, but we really don’t vote anyway, so…” and “My phone is crap, so I can’t make calls, but if you send me a bunch of ballots I’d be glad to fill them out!” (still waiting to hear back on that one), etc. My question is, if I take the training, but go Waaaay off script in the calls – do you think they’ll check up on me, or, continue to send me call lists?

15. Paula Dent says:

An editorial is an opinion piece based on a topical issue. Simple, no? The Badger Herald should have printed the column.

16. Diane says:

Very disappointing.

Paula Dent wrote:

So why did you call Liberty “a garden-variety fascist”?

• Paula Dent says:

Batman: I was expecting someone to point out that little hypocrisy. I was wrong to name-call. We all make mistakes. Some of us even learn from them.

Have a nice life, Batman… and Liberty.

18. Paula Dent says:

Stevie: You were angry because I said Trump was not duly elected. This is a possibility because of Russian interference in state voting systems, accord1ing to Vol. 1 of The Mueller Report. A possibility, not a fact, OK?

• Paula Dent wrote, “Stevie”

My name is Steve. Feel free to call me Steve or Spoons but only trolls choose to call me childish versions of my actual name. Choose wisely.

Paula Dent wrote, “You were angry because I said Trump was not duly elected. “

Angry, no. Sick and tired of people making statements of fact that are in fact lies and verifiably so. You want to continue to make verifiably false statements that’s your choice but don’t expect me to ignore statements that are obvious and verifiable lies. You made your your own bed Paula, own it.

Paula Dent wrote, “This is a possibility because of Russian interference in state voting systems, according to Vol. 1 of The Mueller Report. A possibility, not a fact, OK?”

I’m going to say this as plain as I can; that statement is an unethical rationalization and you should rally consider the fact that I’m not a blithering idiot. I completely reject your unethical “possibility” rationalization nonsense as an excuse for lying. Facts are facts, BS walks.

Lastly; if you’re going to continue to try to converse with me you better step up and start bringing you “A” game because the level of discourse you’re bring to the conversation right now is a miserable failure.

Again; you might find this test useful; Testing for Acute Propaganda-Induced Anti-Trump Hysteria Syndrome. Based on how terribly biased you appear to be, I’m guessing that you’ll answer yes to all 23 questions.

19. Gaye Stantis says:

Haven’t you heard? History has been canceled. It hurts too many feelings. UW Admin would have to bring in the fluffy service puppies to cuddle with & the hot cocoa with marshmallows. Then provide sensitivity trainers to those resurrecting pre-rewritten history (a.k.a. TRUTH)