We will shop but not until we drop

After scrubbing down the keyboard with Fels Naptha, the Lovely Lisa posts her adventures in grocery shopping:

The realization hit me: If I get this thing, I will probably die.

Being almost 72 years old with asthma puts me in that very vulnerable category. I will not be able to weather it out at home. I will need one of the scarce beds and a ventilator. David and Max will not be able to visit me.

Therefore I am grounded. Can’t even go to the early morning shopping hours set aside for folks like me. My last two trips were on March 13 — that Friday everyone went mad and overbought toilet paper — and March 19, when I still thought I’d be “safe.” That was the day David announced I was grounded.

[BLASKA: Man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do.]

But grocery shopping is one of my favorite outlets

I would peruse the ads every Wednesday — which are much reduced now — make my list to include clipped coupons and planned menus. I was very pleased when my receipt showed that I had saved 40%. I shopped three stores, not every week, because I liked certain items from each. Grocery shopping was one of life’s pleasures. No more. Now David goes, list in hand — a very specific list.

IMG_0703

I’ll admit I’ve become afraid, now worrying about what David might pick up and bring home. Wiping items — who last touched that can of beans, anyway? Not wanting son Max to ride the bus because that puts him added days away from seeing him again.

I can’t imagine how difficult this has become for those who are still working away from home, especially if they have children. How do we ever really thank all those doctors and nurses and grocery people and truck drivers and police and firefighters, allowing themselves to become exposed to keep our lives running and safe?

So in the face of all this we keep on living. I get dressed in the morning, sometimes in yesterday’s clothes, but more often a different outfit. Put on earrings and a bit of eye liner. Even though I’m not going anywhere. I still live with myself. I still live.

8 Responses to We will shop but not until we drop

‘Cause we could all use a few more laughs:

-My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.
    – Sneezes went from bless you to f**k you really quick.
    – We’re about two weeks away from seeing everyone’s true hair color.
    – Reminder: 9pm is the time to remove your day pajamas and put your night pajamas on.
    – What’s worse: two masked guys trying to rob you or your unmasked pizza delivery guy?
    – My cleaning lady just messaged to say she will be working from home and will send me instructions on what to do.
    – If you need 144 rolls of toilet paper for a 14-day quarantine, you should have seen a doctor long before now.
    – Anyone have a recipe to make toilet paper out of cauliflower?
    Jewish Irony: Passover canceled because of a plague.
    – I’ve almost completed my 90-day trial of 2020. How do I cancel?
    – Anyone else feel like life is being written by a fourth grader? “And there was this virus and everyone was scared. And then the world ran out of toilet paper. Yeah, and then there was like no school for a month.”
    Many parents are just about to discover the teacher is not the problem.
    – Day 3 without sports. Found a lady sitting on my couch. Apparently she’s my wife. She seems nice.
    – First time in history we can save the human race by laying in front of the TV and doing nothing. Let’s not screw it up.

2. westsidesue says:

Oh that was so good Gotch! But, you hijacked Lisa’s post. I mean lookit the subtleties- David B truly caring about what happens to Lisa. So romantic. I totally get why she likes to go herself, because I’ve been grounded. Men don’t see enough squirrels in the supermarket, so might not come home with anything but what’s on the list. That means not enough chocolate, biscottis, etc. Still my hat’s off to all of yez, weathering the storm in such fine fettle with good senses of humor intact. My fears are the same. It’s just MDH and myself. Will the terriers be making a meal out of us in the days to come? Will we be making Chinese dognuts in some arrrf-ul future. GRRR. Only the shadow knows.

3. Balboa says:

Here’s to those deemed Essential and having to risk exposure. Yes, those people be Wifey and I. I in support for a local Healthcare Software Company not named “EPIC” and Wifey at a Madison Hospital. She is not in areas that would be generally infected patients. I and one other person can roam the halls of our work. With a school age child at home being put at risk every day. Sleeping Well at night is not a luxury lately.

Not happy about our own Tony “Nevers” not pushing harder to postpone the election at least until May. Also not happy with the progressive fascists in charge of county clerks office allowing what was deemed illegal advice for absentee ballots ordered without Photo ID. Nevers may be about as low energy person as you get but behind that mono toned sleep inducing voice is a total lie that he cannot push forth a postponement with the legislature. This is being allowed to go on with a liberal hack-job intent. Progressives never do or say anything without ulterior motives in mind.

If he can push to close every other facet of our lives, this could have been done differently. At least 3 weeks ago they could have set up a task force to figure out how to do drive thru voting in parking lots everywhere in the state. He has done about as little as possible to help this go smoothly. The only idea is suspend all ID verification and mail absentee ballots to everyone including some 200,000 people that are still on voter roll possible illegally

4. Bob Dane says:

God bless you Lisa and David. Stay well.

Have some lawyers get together and craft an ironclad legally binding release form that states (insert name) has voluntarily returned to work and will not, cannot, seek treatment at any medical facility if testing positive for COVID-19. Now that would be interesting.

6. George's Son says:

Did my once-a-week shopping in full regalia -Mask, sanitizer (for wiping door handles, etc) and gloves. A big departure from Geo’s Son’s previous routine…. But also B/C if somehow I am a carrier, why foist the grief unwittingly on other customers or staff? Surprisingly, 50-50 of other patrons similarly attired. Surprisingly staff, including, of all places, Walgreen’s Pharmacy, wore no protection at all. I’m thinkin’ we gotta do better than that.

7. Balboa says:

Proven correct late this afternoon. Nevers does it again late this afternoon.
    Cry foul at the 11th hour.