We did what we could

Police detective says to Jack Nicholson:
“Forget it, Jake. It’s Chinatown.”
My version, “Forget it, David. It’s Madison.”

We’re still awaiting some hanging chads in Florida but the early returns say that we came up well short in Tuesday’s election for Madison school board. So be it.

We took on this campaign to offer a different voice in Madison political life. To quit the blame game. To stop playing identity politics. I think we did that but the headline in this morning’s WI State Journal suggests we’ve got a ways to go: “Winners secure all-female board.” Same with The Capital Times.

Fair enough, but the real story is it’s an all-status quo school board. The shocker is that education reformer Kaleem Caire did not make it despite running a textbook campaign. The teachers union got their endorsements elected. Not that any of the three will have the teachers’ back.

No change for Progressives!

Madison will continue to turn behavior issues into racial grievances, will continue to blame the man behind the tree instead of demanding individual accountability. Jen Cheatham will keep blaming white privilege and shaming her hard-working teachers.

Cops in our four troubled high schools? They’re gone. [UPDATE: School resource officers good as gone.] Teacher vacancies? Watch them increase. Enrollment growth? Yes, in the suburbs, parochial schools and private charters. In MMSD, no. Who wants to be the new positive behavior coach at Whitehorse (or anywhere else)? It is what it is.

Madison even turned out Paul Soglin in favor of a mayor anointed by Progressive Dane (as were Muldrow and Mirilli). Let’s face it: Madison went all Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Tuesday.

I did call Ali Muldrow to congratulate. She offered to buy me dinner. I responded that it would cost her. She laughs at my jokes, which goes a long way with me.

Me and the Guzzi

A start, not a finish

I was honored to receive a call of support from Tommy Thompson, who is traveling. During our party at Babe’s last night, two diners saw my “Blaska for Safer Schools” yard signs and ventured into the back room to say they voted for me. Smoked a Cuban cigar in the parking lot (thank you niece Olivia) and drank some 10-year-old Pappy at the bar. (A special shout-out to Dave Keller, my can-do campaign manager.)

I met many people throughout the city (and reconnected with sister Jane). Gratified at the many educators, teaching support staff, and mainstream Democrats who said they voted for me. Another shout-out to liberal downtown Madison blogger Greg Humphrey. That took courage.

We started a long overdue conversation in this community. That will continue.

I am proud of the campaign we ran and many of you were a big part of that. We talked the issues, we did not disparage motives or call names. (But we sure were on the receiving end! Thought I had a tough hide but there are some bruises.) We offered real-life solutions rather than blaming nebulous, macro socio-economic conditions, Act 10 or various Koch brothers. Returning control of their classrooms to teachers was, Tuesday’s results show, a bridge too far. Who’d a-thunk it?

Blaska’s Bottom LineI hope I showed the way. Praying that someone picks up the torch next year. I do believe it will have to get worse before it gets better. Me? I’ve got two motorcycles that need riding, bad. (Which is pretty much how I ride.)

27 Responses to We did what we could

1. Patrick M O'Loughlin says:

You did a great job David. You made the point loud enough and clear enough that nobody will have to wonder what you are talking about when you say a couple of years from now, “I told you so.”

2. Carmine Giannattasio says:

You tried your hardest and did your best. Thanks!

3. Larsen E. Whipsnade says:

You got my vote yesterday, Dave. I don’t consider it a vote wasted, and am grateful to you and admire you as a voice of reason crying out in the wilderness. Events will show the wisdom of your positions.

4. AnonyBob says:

30%? Not bad, for a conservative in Madison. Though my only exposure to the race was through this blog, it sounds like you have nothing to regret. I think local school board is the most thankless of public offices. Hats off to anyone who subjects themselves to it.

5. sahmpaw says:

I am so proud of the campaign you ran! You are one tough nut to go up against the tribe of identity politics. The bruises will heal. It took real courage to speak for many in this city are too afraid to! Like you said, the conversation is just getting started. God’s blessings to you!

6. coolkes says:

Well, 30% is more than Hagedorn got in Dane County, so there was some crossover support.
    I agree – it has to get worse before it gets better!
    Thanks Dave!

7. Gary L. Kriewald says:

Congrats on fighting the good fight, Dave. Don’t know if I share your optimism about “starting a conversation” about the state of public education in this town since Madison liberals are infinitely more adept at shutting down conversations than anyone else is at starting them.

I voted with enthusiasm for only two candidates yesterday–you and soon-to-be Supreme Court Justice Hagedorn. I guess one should be grateful for a 50% success rate.

8. The discussion had to be started my someone at some time, you chose to step up and did a great job exposing the current failures and presented a focused opinion that had been previously ignored. Hopefully those on the school board will take heed to the issues you raised.

Now if the idiot social justice warriors would leave the board alone and stop all their nonsense “racist” chanting maybe the board will be able to debate within themselves and make the school system better than it currently is.

• Gary L. Kriewald says:

If anything, the Freedom Inc. crowd will redouble their efforts, knowing that the new board will be even bigger pushovers than the previous one. Anyone want to take bets on how long it will take them to remove cops from schools? And how long it will take after that for the chaos and violence in our schools to multiply exponentially? Stay tuned …. the lunatics are now well and truly in charge of the asylum. And any meaningful “discussion” will be clamped down on faster than Joe Biden’s hands on an unsuspecting woman’s shoulders.

9. Patrick M O'Loughlin says:

Over at Isthmus they have the following headline on their story about the elections: “With the election of three new members, Madison’s school board is now made up of all women and is more DIVERSE.” As Inigo Montoya in Princess Bride would say, “You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”

10. Kevin Wymore says:

Thinking you have no alternatives to the Madison public schools’ chaos? I remind you that the local Catholic schools still provide a quality learning environment. I am most familiar with Queen of Peace School, where my oldest son attended, and then went on to the University of Notre Dame.

btw, we did send our 2 children to Madison Memorial High 10-plus years ago, so I am not totally against the public schools. But that was 10-plus years ago. I am afraid I couldn’t make the same decision today, in light of the ongoing, self-inflicted decline of the Madison schools.

11. Scott Freeman says:

Congratulations David on a courageous, well-fought campaign. Your effort gave thousands of disinterested Madison citizens a surprising peek behind the curtain. That it wasn’t enough to move a sufficient number to get off their asses and take action is disappointing. But, over the next year, as the deterioration at the classroom level worsens (and it will), your campaign will remind people that they could have started to make a difference. Like with addiction, social change sometimes requires hitting bottom before reversing a course can begin. Much more than most, you took a risk and made a difference. Congratulations my friend…..

Funniest thing; no intense, weepy, spittle-flecked slobbering about somebody knowing someone’s sister’s hairdresser’s daughter’s letter carrier’s veterinarian’s step-brother’s accountant’s acupuncturist’s needle distributor’s Great Great Aunt not having a valid driver’s license/Voter I.D. and may not have been able to vote because…welp…just because.

Wait a minute.

Proglibocrat Dane pretty much got what they wanted, (known as a Mandate in idiot Lefty parlance) so there was no need to screech Voter Suppression at the top of their Beta Male soprano voices?

Never Mind

13. Andrea S. says:

You ran a respectable race. You didn’t make hay about Ali Muldrow’s legal woes in her younger days. A lot of Madison Liberals who disagreed with your prior trolling voted for you because at you are honest about your feelings. Keep showing up at Board meetings and exercise your First Amendment rights. Screw these Freedom Inc. folks who would deny you that right.

If anything, Andrea, you got one thing right: I am honest about my feelings. My feelings are that it’s your turn and everyone else’s turn to show up at school board meetings. I’ve paid my dues.

• Andrea S. wrote, “A lot of Madison Liberals who disagreed with your prior trolling voted for you because at you are honest about your feelings.”

“Prior trolling”? What trolling? Is anything presented that Madison Liberals disagree with considered “trolling”?

Personally I think it would be vastly more accurate to say that Dave was honest about the facts where the opposition seemed to be dishonestly smearing Dave using their snowflake feelings that were completely devoid of any relevant facts.

The lunatic Madison social justice warrior cult is using…

14. Tom Paine says:

Why bother? Serious question when you consider the lack of appreciation about the US Constitution by the current adult generation. What will their kids think— and what civic behavior might we speculate that they will exhibit?

Now, consider how identity politics will be practiced by the kids of today’s students?

Anyone seriously think this is NOT the beginning of a new dark age, at least for sentient creatures?

15. Pingback: Madison losers: cops, public safety; Statewide winner: religious freedom | Blaska Policy Werkes

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )