“The problem with left-wing movements isn’t so much ‘the left-wing’ as it is the ‘movements.’ Movements sometimes have a totalitarian edge that cannot abide dissent, or even a hint of it.” — syndicated columnist Froma Harrop.
“I didn’t hear that question and don’t ask it again.” — Paul Soglin, asked if his bid for governor would be his last campaign.
“A good friend of mine — a lifelong Democrat … — told me he hates Paul Ryan. HATES! I didn’t press him for his reasons. But Mr. Ryan, the best representative both personally and ideationally of intelligent Republicanism, seems, with such a large pool to choose from, a strange man to hate.” — culture commentator Joseph Epstein.
“The hard truth about our criminal justice system: it’s racist … I mean, all the way, front to back.” — U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Massachusetts.
“America was never that great.” — Andrew Cuomo, Democrat(ic) governor of New York.
“Andrew Cuomo was never that great.” — National Review.
British (socialist) Labour party leader Jeremy Corbyn admits being present at wreath-laying for Munich terrorists but says “I don’t think I was actually involved in it.” The Independent, August 13
U.S. Added 157,000 Jobs in July; Unemployment Rate Slips to 3.9%
“I’ve never seen such a steady stream of gains — there’s no volatility in the numbers,” said Ellen Zentner, chief United States economist at Morgan Stanley. The manufacturing sector has been strong recently and gained another 37,000 jobs in July.
“We’re not seeing any impact from trade tensions, as it’s too early,” said Scott Anderson, chief economist at Bank of the West in San Francisco.
“We are bringing unemployment way below 4.5 percent, which the Fed considers full employment,” said Simona Mocuta, senior economist with State Street Global Advisors. — New York Times article on strong economy that managed not to mention the name Trump even once.
in the cause of
What we’re reading at the Manor
Tell the Madison school board to quit race baiting
Send a message to our elected officials.
6 p.m. Monday, August 27 — Madison School Board, 545 W. Dayton St. Cops in Schools issue.
Mouldering in the basement
Additional Stately Territories
While you were out
- Guilty white liberals are their own parody August 18, 2018
- Madison justice is one big joke: ‘Joking, laughing teens arrested for auto theft’ August 17, 2018
- Socialist Marxist-Leninists are driving Madison’s war on police August 17, 2018
- A Vietnamese woman was too diverse for Madison August 15, 2018
- Madison WI marches in lockstep to identity politics August 13, 2018
- It’s Leah, Tony & Shabnam this Tuesday August 10, 2018
- Police issue citations against Freedom Inc. intimidator August 8, 2018
- Once again, the do-gooders screw it up for everyone else August 7, 2018
- Bill Everley on Guilty white liberals are their own parody
- Kevin Wymore on Madison justice is one big joke: ‘Joking, laughing teens arrested for auto theft’
- Gary L. Kriewald on Guilty white liberals are their own parody
- Gary L. Kriewald on Socialist Marxist-Leninists are driving Madison’s war on police
- Cornelius Gotchberg on Guilty white liberals are their own parody
- Gary L. Kriewald on Madison justice is one big joke: ‘Joking, laughing teens arrested for auto theft’
- Cornelius Gotchberg on Socialist Marxist-Leninists are driving Madison’s war on police
- Scott F on Guilty white liberals are their own parody
Our Favorite On-Line Reads