Democrats demand special prosecutor to investigate Dilbert

Could it be? A newspaper comic strip from the political Right? A welcome counter to the Bush-bashing, coastal-elite Doonesbury? Be still my heart.

The comic strip Dilbert delightfully skewers 21st Century bureaucratic America, Silicon Valley and every I.T. shop. It’s staged in the world of cubicles and pointless meetings; populated by inept bosses, worthless consultants, and a socially inept info-tech engineer whose own dog disrespects him. Dilbert does daily in print what Office Space (“Did you get the memo?) did on the big screen and Steve Carrell’s Office did in the TV series. With one big difference emerging this week.

Wednesday in the Wisconsin State Journal, the syndicated strip began a story line in which The Pointy-Haired Boss informs Dilbert of unsubstantiated allegations that our hero colluded with their Elbonian competitors. (The entirety of Elbonia lies six inches under water.)

In the interests of fair usage, we reprint only two panels of Wednesday’s (6-21-17) installment. (Dilbert is on line.)

Dilbert

Today’s installment reveals that a thorough tossing of Dilbert’s electronic paper trail reveals no collusion “But there are many other crimes he might have committed,” the bespectacled Dogbert announces. “You should pay me to investigate them.”

The parallels with the obsessive inquiry into the Trump administration’s supposed canoodling with Vladimir Putin is unmistakable. (The preceding is what we call in the journalism game the “nut graph.”)

Dilbert’s creator, Scott Adams, is a respected social observer; his essays are published in Wall Street Journal and elsewhere; he has written several books (including The Dilbert Principle). He is also a Trump supporter.

Adams praises Trump’s communication skills and predicted he would be elected president. He nonetheless endorsed Hillary Clinton and in July 2016 advised readers of his blog:

Wally

Wally

I endorsed Hillary Clinton for my personal safety because I live in California. It isn’t safe to be viewed as a Trump supporter where I live. My politics don’t align with either candidate, but backing Clinton reduces my odds of dying at the hands of my fellow citizens. (And yes, I am 100% serious. It just happens to be funny by coincidence.)

By late September, according to the Wikipedia entry (I’m not proud) he had switched allegiance and endorsed Trump.

Now we’ll see how many newspapers drop Dilbert and how many more of our liberal-progressive-socialist First Amendment bashers, having been mortally offended by this white male oppressor, demand they do so.

In February 2017, Adams stopped donating to his alma mater, UC Berkeley, after the violence which erupted against Milo Yiannopoulos and student Trump supporters. — Wikipedia.

13 Responses to Democrats demand special prosecutor to investigate Dilbert

1. AnonyBob says:

It’s a satirical comic strip. Don’t get the vapors. Don’t expect the Left to go bonkers the way you would.

“Don’t expect the Left to go bonkers.” That’s a good one. You mean like the Act 10 Occupation of the Capitol? You mean like the Pussy Hats? You mean like disrupting conservative speakers on the UW campus? You mean like Antifa breaking windows and setting fires? You mean like a sit-in of Democratic congressmen in the House chambers? You mean like demanding “Safe Spaces” on college campuses? Crazy Lady

2. Balboa says:

You mean like liberal protesters in North Dakota that left an environmental disaster when the protest was no longer cool or valuable. The list goes on and on.

3. coolkevs says:

In Adams’ blog post today, he states that he is neither Republican or Democrat. I think he likes to expose the hypocridiocity of all sides that seems to be ramping up in the age of Trump. It just seems like Adams is politically right because he dares to push against the left’s narratives from Trump to climate change to antifa. Today, he was pushing against the right’s narrative about the health care law, stating that it will probably be a failure.

4. Patricko says:

A satirical comic strip? Why it’s hate speech pure and simple. My guess is the city council will be issuing an edict soon that this repulsive ideology be banished from The Emerald City.

5. Tom Paine says:

Chisholm & Co…..Doe II, redux. Pick a victim, and they’ll find a crime.

6. old baldy says:

With the documented rise in sea level due to climate change Elbonia is now 12 inches under water. Keep up with the news and current events, dave.

Dilbert is a cartoon. Next thing you know Dave will be suggesting we set nuclear energy policy based on the musings of Homer Simpson. But Rick Perry is pretty close…….

“Dilbert is a cartoon.” [Face palm] Over at Tammany Hall, Boss Tweed cried, upon seeing the latest cartoon from Thomas Nast, “Stop those damn pictures.” Herblock: nothing but cartoons. Pogo, too. “1984” was just a book. “Uncle Tom’s Cabin”? Fiction. “Birth of a Nation”? Just a movie, non-talking at that. Father Coughlin: a radio show. Statue of Liberty: granite and iron. The Constitution of the United States: words on paper. Ol’ Baldy: Clueless.

• old baldy says:

Wow, Dave, ya sure got your undies bunched up on this one. You want to get your information and set your political course from a cartoon, that’s fine with me. I’ll stick to reality. And you call me clueless, Ha !!

Interesting to note you didn’t mention GB Trudeau in your litany. But since he doesn’t agree with your narrow world-view I guess you don’t feel the need to be inclusive of other opinions.

“We have met the enemy, and he is us”.

I didn’t mention Trudeau because I referenced Doonesbury in the blog itself. Odd that you would argue that mass media is not persuasive — in particular, cartoons — then close with a quote from Pogo, another cartoon. Odd, and clueless.

• old baldy says:

I-R-O-N-Y. May be to much nuance for you to grasp.

I’ll stand pat, and won’t make my political, social, cultural, and life decisions on the musings of a cartoonist, just as I don’t put much credence in the rantings of a reality show host, adulterer, and serial attendee in bankruptcy court. You, too, can do better.

7. Dan B. says:

My readers are clueless, said Blaska.