Race trumps character in today’s public schools

At some point in the fermentation process, the bacteria that convert sugars into alcohol poison themselves and the process starts. Wine can only get so alcoholic without the addition of distilled alcohol (as is done with Port.)

That process is occurring in Madison, or so one hopes. The unionized teachers at Madison’s public schools have complained about the breakdown of order.

High school hallway and cafeteria fights seem much more prevalent these days. Many of them are girl on girl. Disciplining the brawlers creates a civil rights crisis if black students are involved. The camera- and microphone-loving Michael Johnson held a press conference (how eager our news media is for such exhibitions!) last week after a melee in the East High School cafeteria required eight uniformed police and various faculty to break up and a minority race female student  was arrested.

This is a little bit more than smoking in the boys’ room and it appears to be a nationwide problem. The Manhattan Institute traces the outbreak to — what else? — the Obama administration. Five years ago, his Department of Education decreed that too many black students were being suspended, thereby feeding the liberal narrative than educators turn the other way when white kids are wailing on each other but bust a black kid for chewing gum. The federal educrats followed up with the threat of federal lawsuits if school administrators kept expelling troublemakers. Madison’s public schools were among those who acceded to the pressure.

Politically correct but educationally disruptive

The Manhattan Institute report is “School Discipline Reform and Disorder.” It shows a:

… dramatic shift in school discipline policy, spurred by national statistics showing stark racial differences in school suspension rates and the assumption that bias was behind the differences. Twenty-seven states have revised their laws to reduce the use of exclusionary discipline, and more than 50 of America’s largest school districts, serving more than 6.35 million students, have implemented discipline reforms. From 2011–12 to 2013–14, the number of suspensions nationwide fell by nearly 20%.

Advocates of discipline reform claim that a suspension may have negative effects on the student being disciplined. Critics are concerned that lax discipline may lead to more disruptive behavior, disrupting classrooms and harming students who want to learn.

The story is the same in Madison’s public schools. A survey  jointly conducted in May 2015 by the teachers union and the school district found that only 13% of teachers agreed that the new behavior plan was working; 51% disagreed. “These results are even more pronounced at the middle and high school levels (where it was 9% and 55%),” the report of the Joint Committee on Safety and Discipline concluded.

When asked to respond to the statement “When a student is returned to class following a behavior incident, he or she is ready to re-engage in learning,” 11% of high teachers agreed; 55% disagreed.

“The left’s decision to place the welfare of bullies and thugs above the welfare of kids who are in school to learn is counter-productive,” Jason L. Riley writes in the Wall Street Journal, in a bit of an understatement.

So much for Martin Luther King Jr.’s classic statement on the content of one’s character. Meanwhile, Madison is considering booting police from our public high schools. (More here.)

11 Responses to Race trumps character in today’s public schools

1. Dan B. says:

The Manhattan Institute blames Obama because that’s what Republicans do: blame Obama. Same for Jason Reilly. Same for David Blaska. Whose fault? Obama’s fault. Say it again!

2. Sandy says:

First, Michael Johnson does God’s work in this community. His Boys and Girls Club operation is an example nationally and seeking publicity is how you raise the millions and millions of dollars he raises to keep it going. That man is sending kids to college who otherwise would be struggling to finish high school. And second, is it your contention that black kids are not discriminated against in the Madison public schools? Is it your contention that they are not under significantly greater pressure than their white classmates? I would like it if you could answer that question without your normal degree of sarcasm, if possible.

Discrimination? Where are the federal civil rights lawsuits?

• Balboa says:

Sandy,

under more pressure to succeed or under pressure to play the victim. Let me tell you something. The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place, and I don’t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard you are hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That is how winning at life is done!

No special treatment for any students, one set of rules to apply to everyone. period!

• Sandy says:

Thanks for nothing. The comment below from Balboa (who seems to have missed the whole point of the movie Rocky) is such a laughable oversimplification of life in general that it’s hard to figure out where to begin in responding. Have you had a child in school, anywhere? Are you familiar with the lengths one must go through to get extra services for a child struggling with anything in school? Math, reading, fitting in, getting enough to eat, standing up to bullies, access to the internet, transportation for extra curriculars, problems adopting a joyful and confident approach to learning… No special treatment for those struggling with any of those? What planet are you living on? In your view, every kid would get exactly the same amount of attention on a math concept, regardless of how quickly they understand it. Survival of the fittest! Start that in 1st grade! Didn’t eat dinner last night or breakfast this morning? Too bad for you! Mom works nights and isn’t around to help with your homework? Tell your story walking to Lincoln Hills, buddy!

• coolkevs says:

when did all the responsibility in your laundry list of things fall to the school district instead of the parents? not everybody is meant to learn math as well as everybody else. “joyful and confident approach to learning” – I don’t know what Pollyannish school you went to, but not many joyful kids in middle/high school. And that falls to the school system to make everybody happy??? give me a break!

3. old baldy says:

Another factually challenged post by blather. Bacteria? Really? You really should have been awake during 10th grade biology.

4. Balboa says:

Sandy,

David Commentary is about disciplining in schools and using 2 separate systems base on racial or minority status. My last comment no special treatment is in reference to the failing system that David is blogging about how these malcontents disrupt the lives of kids who are trying to better their lives by learning. Teachers and administrators should not treat malcontents differently than any other kid who disrupts the classroom. Those kids belong in a charter alternative schools, that are not run by teachers unions or in a separate setting like shabazz until they can get caught up or until they get their GED. I never once said all programs to help the neediest of the needy should be stopped. I was referring to discipline.

I grew up in a lower class, divorced, dual alcoholic family which struggled to put food on the table.
    I have diagnosed ADHD and dyslexia until I found out in college. My mom’s boyfriend and eventual husband was a pervert molester. My daughter was born with birth defects and we are finding out also has ADHD which we are working through together. So I know a thing or 2 about growing up in a broken home.

So the world was not sunshine and rainbows for me growing up, it was a mean and nasty place. I
    was able to recognize through many struggles and heartbreak that I needed to break the cycles and become my own person who could stand on my own two feet. I did not and still do not let life keep my down, I keep getting up and fighting to make my life better for child, wife and myself. Because I keep fighting I am living the American Dream because you see the American Dream is not defineable by someone else, it is only definable by yourself.

So if you think I missed the meaning of Stallone’s quote, you very mistaken. I would not be the person I am today if I was given special treatment for my childhood errors, mistakes, and unlawful behavior.

But I am a While Male so that automatically disqualifies me because I was so privileged growing up in a broken home, being molested with a learning disorder and did not fit in well in school. The grew up and had a child with learning disabilities.